Don’t know how to study for maths exam which is on the edge

In summary, Katherine Pierce is having a hard time studying for her upcoming math exam because she is constantly distracted. She does not know what to do to improve her concentration and her family doctor can help her figure out the best approach.
Katherinepierce
Hey,

I’m new here .Good to join you all .. I need your help as I don’t know how to study maths .

I am always distracted. I even sleep well. I don’t use my social media account or have phone with me still I can’t concentrate. When I start doing maths I feel like I have forgotten everything I studied till now. I am not able to remember anything ,and I have my maths exam in 10 days .

It’s very important for me , I have my whole syllabus coming and I can’t do anything. I start doing maths and after a while I can’t. Don’t know what to do . Even my surrounding are good no one to disturb but still I am failing to do maths . I have even made a table of all the formulas but still it doesn’t work . I don’t know what is wrong . Please help

- Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As you've eliminated many of the things that can break concentration, we need to consider the remaining possibilities.

One possibility is that you have a condition that affects concentration, such as ADHD, which would need to be diagnosed so that you could get the proper medication for it. I have students who have this and who did much better after they started treatment. In any case, psychologists are experts about how to manage our minds, so seeing a psychologist for something like this is a good idea (at least long term - I know your exam is soon).

Another possibility comes down to external versus internal motivation. People tend to be able to focus a lot better when they are doing something for its own sake and not for some external reward, or to avoid some punishment. The way to handle this problem is to try to see the inherent virtues in the material you need to study, to get excited about it.

This is a big one for me; getting enthusiastic about the material is my first step in learning anything. I have been studying this huge math book for a long time now, and I'd never be able to keep opening it day after day if I didn't value the material for its own sake.

These are only the possibilities I could think of and there are probably others. It's definitely important to understand what is leading to your lack of concentration before we can know what to do about it.

Likes jedishrfu
Good reply by @Geofleur

@Katherinepierce -- We are not able to diagnose or offer medical advice here on the PF. The most we can do at this point is ask you to talk with your family doctor (or one of the doctors at the health center on campus) about all of this. They have some tests that should help you figure out the right approach for all of this. Best wishes. :smile:

Likes phinds

1. How can I improve my studying habits for a maths exam?

To improve your studying habits for a maths exam, try creating a study schedule and sticking to it. Break up the material into manageable chunks and review regularly. Practice solving problems and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed.

2. What resources can I use to study for a maths exam?

There are many resources available for studying for a maths exam. Some options include textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study guides. You can also ask your teacher for additional resources or attend review sessions.

3. How can I stay focused and motivated while studying for a maths exam?

To stay focused and motivated while studying for a maths exam, try setting specific goals for each study session and rewarding yourself when you achieve them. Take breaks when needed and find a study environment that works best for you. It can also be helpful to remember why you are studying and the importance of doing well on the exam.

4. Is it better to study alone or with a group for a maths exam?

This depends on personal preference and learning style. Some people may benefit from studying alone and having the freedom to go at their own pace. Others may find it helpful to study with a group and discuss the material. Consider trying both methods and see which works best for you.

5. What should I do if I don’t understand a particular concept for the maths exam?

If you don’t understand a particular concept for the maths exam, don’t be afraid to ask for help. You can reach out to your teacher, a tutor, or a classmate for clarification. You can also try doing extra practice problems or seeking out additional resources to better understand the concept. Don’t wait until the last minute to seek help if needed.