Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Don't know what trollpi is?

1. Mar 28, 2013 #1
    If you don't know what trollpi is, you can see it here:

http://qntm.org/files/trollpi/piequals4.png [1]

It seems to me that the flaw in this problem is that while the shape may converge to a circle, the way you measure the perimeter is ds=dx+dy=1+(dy/dx) not ds=sqrt(1+(dy/dx)^2 )dx as usual. So I tried using this new definition of the arclength in the first quadrant with r=0.5 and integrating expecting to get 1. I put the following into mathematica:

Integrate[1 - x/Sqrt[0.25 - x^2], {x, 0, 0.5}]

This did not give me 1. Can someone explain why?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2013 #2
    I think I may have figured out an answer to this. I started thinking that possibly the reason this is not 1 is because dy and dx can be positive or negative, so not all pieces of the arclength would add -- some would subtract. So I tried to do this

Integrate[Sqrt[(1 - x/Sqrt[1/4 - x62])2], {x, 0, 1/2}]

This was not correct either, however, since what I had effectively done was make ds=|dy + dx|. What I really needed was |dy|+|dx|=ds. Realizing that in quadrant I dy/dx was always negative all I needed to do was to flip the sign in my original integral. Plugging in

Integrate[1 + x/Sqrt[0.25 - x^2 ], {x, 0, 0.5}]

gave me 1, like I was expecting. It seems that my analysis was wrong because I effectively dropped a negative.

If someone could confirm that this makes sense, it would be appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook