1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Don't Know Where to Start

1. Jan 20, 2005 #1
    Yay, hopefully I can gather some pointers for this question.

A lighter-than-air balloon and its load of passengers and ballast are floating stationary above the earth. Ballast is weight (of negligible volume) that can be dropped overboard to make the balloon rise. The radius of this balloon is 6.25m. Assuming a constant value of 1.29 kg/m^3 for the density of air, determine how much weight must be dropped overboard to make the balloons rise 105 m in 15.0s.

I thinking this will involve Bernoulli's equation:

P1+1/2pv^2 + pgy=P2+1/2pv^2 +pgy.

Ok so P1 doesnt equal P2. Density should be same they cancel.

P1+1/2v^2 +gy=P2 +1/2V^2 +gy.

Now I'm stuck, P1 doesn't equal P2. y1 doesnt equal y2. Velocity is same? 105m/15s= 7m/s.

Am I on the right track? :grumpy:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2005 #2
    first, find the accelation of the balloon... I assume you can handle this part
    second, find the force act on the balloon.... easy?
    draw the free body diagram and figure out what equation you need for the up force...(not your original one)
  4. Jan 20, 2005 #3
    Ok, so there are two forces I see acting on the balloon. Gravity acting downard and buoyant force acting up. So Fnet=FB-Fg so, pVg=mg. pV=g? Something's wrong, I'm not using acceleration, which I found to be 0.93m/s^2.
  5. Jan 21, 2005 #4
    the Fnet is not zero.... you know the balloon is accelatating upward, right?
  6. Jan 21, 2005 #5
    I thought about that. But even if I went Fnet=FB-Fg and ma=FB-Fg and ma=pVg-mg and I solve for m = pVg/ (a+g), I dont' see how this will give me the weight of the ballasts vs weight of the balloon.
  7. Jan 21, 2005 #6
    and at the begining, the balloon is floating stationary. Fnet = 0 at that case... and you can easily find what is the mass of the balloon before dropping the weight......
  8. Jan 21, 2005 #7
    AH HA!! I did it, the answer comes out to be 1120 N. Hmm, well time well spent. Thanks Vinny.
  9. Mar 3, 2005 #8
    I still dont get how you guys came up with that. you've got density x volume = mass...but you dont know the density OR the mass. Shine some light on me! its bugging me feeling so stupid.
  10. Mar 4, 2005 #9
    Wrong, you know the density, after you have the density, the mass is just a piece of cake!
    the ballon it stays in air without going up/down.... that's mean the balloon should have same density as air... Do you know why?
    imagine what will happen if the balloon has higher/lower density than air....
  11. Mar 4, 2005 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

^yeah...apply Archimedes' principle, in other words.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?