Don't Look Back

• Thread starter qspeechc
  • Start date
There is a difference between looking and looking. If you look back and smile it is completely different from looking back and making obscene faces.

Indeed. This seems to completely elude some ppl.

Dembadon
Gold Member
Now you assume that looking at someone is something wrong. It is not. You have done nothing to her, by just looking. ...

I didn't make that assumption. By definition, "wary" implies a measure of uncertainty. In other words, if by looking, I receive a smile in return, no harm done. However, it is unreasonable to expect everyone to receive an innocent look in a healthy way. People come from different backgrounds; not everyone has been looked at in healthy ways. If I were to make someone feel uncomfortable, I'm going to apologize, and I don't think that's unreasonable. You can't just tell people their feelings are invalid. There could be issues that go much deeper than just an "innocent look back."

Dembadon
Gold Member
Rofl. Who cares about the rights. Look at the chick if you want. We all do and pretty much dont give a dime about what others think. Big deal.

God forbid I should look at her, no ? Because it makes me a inconsiderate piece of **** :P
Lets be serious.

Yes, let's get serious. What did you mean by your first quote? Not caring about how your actions affect others is inconsiderate.

Secondly, can you please quote the post where I said it wasn't okay to look under any circumstances? I believe I've just been saying that the OP's concern for how others perceive his actions is perfectly reasonable. As Borek said, looking and smiling is fine, and I haven't said anything to the contrary.

Yes, let's get serious. What did you mean by your first quote? Not caring about how your actions affect others is inconsiderate.

Really ? Like I told you, you are putting too much salience on harmless actions. It's so ... human and so false.

Secondly, can you please quote the post where I said it wasn't okay to look under any circumstances? I believe I've just been saying that the OP's concern for how others perceive his actions is perfectly reasonable. As Borek said, looking and smiling is fine, and I haven't said anything to the contrary.

I dont think this dignifies an answer.

Dembadon
Gold Member
... I dont think this dignifies an answer.

Then perhaps you should be more articulate. :smile: Erecting straw men like the second quote in my previous post isn't necessary.

Then perhaps you should be more articulate. :smile: Erecting straw men like the second quote in my previous post isn't necessary.

So you recognize your second quote was a straw man ? Interesting.

I didn't make that assumption. By definition, "wary" implies a measure of uncertainty. In other words, if by looking, I receive a smile in return, no harm done. However, it is unreasonable to expect everyone to receive an innocent look in a healthy way. People come from different backgrounds; not everyone has been looked at in healthy ways. If I were to make someone feel uncomfortable, I'm going to apologize, and I don't think that's unreasonable. You can't just tell people their feelings are invalid. There could be issues that go much deeper than just an "innocent look back."

Yeah, right. See man, all this have a single flaw. To see you looking BACK at her, she must turn her head back and look after you.

So instead of blaming me for being inconsiderate, why dont you blame HER for looking back at me? Maybe Im just a poor guy and she will scare me senseless. You see the whole problem with your logic ?

What about, not blaming anyone and quit this whole non-sense ?

Dembadon
Gold Member
So you recognize your second quote was a straw man ? Interesting.

Quit being obtuse, Dan.

God forbid I should look at her, no ? Because it makes me a inconsiderate piece of **** :P
Lets be serious.

The above quote was directed at me, was it not? The quote implies that I, at some point, claimed that you shouldn't look at women, which I didn't. If I'm wrong in assuming you were including me in your hyperbole, then please correct me.

Dembadon
Gold Member
Yeah, right. See man, all this have a single flaw. To see you looking BACK at her, she must turn her head back and look after you.

So instead of blaming me for being inconsiderate, why dont you blame HER for looking back at me? Maybe Im just a poor guy and she will scare me senseless. You see the whole problem with your logic ?

What about, not blaming anyone and quit this whole non-sense ?

My logic is fine; my post was gender neutral. I never claimed it to be a one-way street.

My logic is fine; my post was gender neutral. I never claimed it to be a one-way street.

Your logic is deeply flawed. Its not the gender thing which should have caught your eye, but the bolded portions. It's the fact that to see one persons looking back to you, you have to turn yourself. The other person just passed you in the OPs scenario. Else you will not see that person turning it's head after you. So again, lets be serious. Big deal.

Borek
Mentor
Can we stop this discussion here and don't look back?

Dembadon
Gold Member
Can we stop this discussion here and don't look back?

:rofl:

Yes, we can.