Don't shoot me More ID in the news:

• News
  • Thread starter The Smoking Man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News
In summary, the author hesitates to teach ID in a science classroom because it is like letting the cats screeching and fighting in the alley perform in a symphony hall.
The Smoking Man
I hesitated to do this (for about half a second) considering the last result but I found a good commentary on ID in the NYTimes entitled Show Me The Science.

To 'wet your whistle:
Fortunately for physicists, there is no powerful motivation for such a band of mischief-makers to form. They don't have to spend much time persuading people that quantum physics and Einsteinian relativity really have been established beyond all reasonable doubt.

With evolution, however, it is different. The fundamental scientific idea of evolution by natural selection is not just mind-boggling; natural selection, by executing God's traditional task of designing and creating all creatures great and small, also seems to deny one of the best reasons we have for believing in God. So there is plenty of motivation for resisting the assurances of the biologists. Nobody is immune to wishful thinking. It takes scientific discipline to protect ourselves from our own credulity, but we've also found ingenious ways to fool ourselves and others. Some of the methods used to exploit these urges are easy to analyze; others take a little more unpacking.

A creationist pamphlet sent to me some years ago had an amusing page in it, purporting to be part of a simple questionnaire:

Test Two

Do you know of any building that didn't have a builder? [YES] [NO]

Do you know of any painting that didn't have a painter? [YES] [NO]

Do you know of any car that didn't have a maker? [YES] [NO]

If you answered YES for any of the above, give details:

Take that, you Darwinians! The presumed embarrassment of the test-taker when faced with this task perfectly expresses the incredulity many people feel when they confront Darwin's great idea. It seems obvious, doesn't it, that there couldn't be any designs without designers, any such creations without a creator.

If you need me, I'll be hiding behind that rock over there ... I know ... Some of you just said, "Under it", right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is an opinion column legitimately called "news"?..off topic I know..but I thought perhaps there was some new case or something and I find upon clicking through and opinion piece...not news at all...

Whether it was ID or evolution, we still have a long ways to go if we don't destroy ourselves first.

For some reason in the back of my mind I have a vision that as the Earth developed into a more hospitable place for habitation, some alien society rid itself of its criminal element by bringing them here. It was an intergalactic prison colony so to speak.

The alien criminal element eventually interbred with the existing earthborn homo sapiens and... here we are. Ten thousand years have passed and only the weapons have changed.

Last edited:
Teaching ID in a science classroom is like letting the cats screeching and fighting in the alley perform in a symphony hall.

1. What is the purpose of the "Don't Shoot Me More ID in the News" initiative?

The purpose of the "Don't Shoot Me More ID in the News" initiative is to raise awareness and advocate for better representation and portrayal of marginalized communities, particularly in the media.

2. How does the initiative address the issue of misrepresentation in the media?

The initiative uses various strategies such as promoting accurate and diverse representation, calling out and challenging harmful stereotypes, and collaborating with media outlets to improve their coverage of marginalized communities.

3. Who is involved in the "Don't Shoot Me More ID in the News" initiative?

The initiative is led by a team of scientists, researchers, and social justice advocates, but it also welcomes participation and support from individuals and organizations who share the same goals.

4. Can anyone contribute to the initiative?

Yes, anyone who supports the goals of the "Don't Shoot Me More ID in the News" initiative can contribute by spreading awareness, sharing resources and information, and being mindful of their own language and actions when it comes to representation and inclusion.

5. How can I stay updated on the progress of the "Don't Shoot Me More ID in the News" initiative?

You can follow the initiative's social media accounts, sign up for their newsletter, and check their website for updates and upcoming events. You can also reach out to the team directly for any inquiries or suggestions.