1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Don't understand by the arrangement of the capacitors in the diagram.

1. Dec 6, 2004 #1
    I have think for this question very hard but still I cannot get the correct answer.I need somebody to help me figure out how the capacitors in the diagram are arranged.

I hope that someone will reply me back as soon as possible.I have my question and diagram in the attachment followed.Thanks for anybody that spend some time on this question.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2004 #2
    capacitor y and z are parrallel to each other....and together are in series with x

4. Dec 6, 2004 #3
    Thanks for your help,but,I still want to know whether the dotted line between the battery means that the battery are separated equally.

5. Dec 6, 2004 #4
    what do u mean by separated?
    by this, do you mean the source is one 6.0 V battery? or each battery is 6.0 V?

well.. just take these 2 batteries and consider it as one with voltage equal to the sum of the voltage of the two batteries. Say, the voltage of each battery is 6.0 V, then the source supplies 12.0 V potential difference.

Since they are all connected in a circuit, i don't think you can separate the source that supplies energy to capacitor Y, Z and X

6. Dec 6, 2004 #5
    as tigger said, I think that the batteries are two seperate batteries connect in series with the rest of the circuit (so you can add their voltages in this case)

7. Dec 6, 2004 #6
    I don't see any dotted lines. But that could be because the monitor I'm using is a little fuzzy. If the conductor connecting the two batteries is dotted, that means that there are more cells in the battery than are shown.

8. Dec 6, 2004 #7
    I don't see any dotted line either....and it is clear on my screen :-/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?