Don't understand by the phrases 'retarding force'

• Thread starter Sanosuke Sagara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation is about understanding the concept of retarding force and its role in slowing down the motion of an object. The question involves calculating the retarding force on a raindrop and how it relates to its velocity and terminal velocity. The person is seeking clarification and guidance on solving the question, but not the actual solution.
Sanosuke Sagara
I have question to ask on retarding force and I just can't figure out the answer.

The question is in my attachment.

In the attachment,I didn't write out my solution because I totally blure with the question ask.

I hope that someone will help me by explain to me what the question want and some information on this question.I hope somebody will suggest me which website can I refer to but not solve the question for me.Thank you !

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    20.5 KB · Views: 271
Physics news on Phys.org
Retarding force I believe is meant to mean force that "retards" the motion of the object (acts against it to slow it down). When rain is falling down, the question is saying there are two forces acting on the raindrop: gravity and its retarding force (given by the equation in your document). You will notice that the retarding force is proportional to v^2 so as you travel faster, the force that's trying to oppose your speed gets larger. At terminal velocity, the retarding force is such that it prohibits you from accelerating anymore (the sum of the forces = 0). I hope this all makes sense.

One last hint, instead of using the force of gravity = m*g, try using force of gravity = density * volume * g

Last edited by a moderator:

The phrase "retarding force" refers to a force that opposes motion or slows down an object. It can also be referred to as a resistance force. This force can come from various sources such as friction, air resistance, or drag. It can act in the opposite direction of the object's motion or it can act in the same direction to slow down the object.

In your attachment, the question is asking about the retarding force acting on a car that is traveling at a constant velocity. The solution involves using the equation for net force, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, since the car is traveling at a constant velocity, its acceleration is zero. Therefore, the net force acting on the car is also zero. This means that the retarding force acting on the car is equal in magnitude to the forward force acting on the car, which is the force from the engine or the force from gravity if the car is going downhill.

To better understand this concept, you can refer to websites or resources that explain the basics of forces and motion. Some good websites to start with are Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and HyperPhysics. These resources provide clear explanations and examples of retarding forces and how they affect the motion of objects. It's important to understand the basics before attempting to solve more complex problems. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is a retarding force?

A retarding force is a force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, causing it to slow down or come to a stop.

2. How does a retarding force affect an object's motion?

A retarding force decreases an object's speed and changes its direction of motion, ultimately causing it to come to a stop if the force is strong enough.

3. What are some examples of retarding forces?

Some common examples of retarding forces include friction, air resistance, and drag. These forces can act on moving objects and slow them down.

4. How can retarding forces be reduced or overcome?

Retarding forces can be reduced by making an object more streamlined or by reducing the surface area that is exposed to the force. For example, a car can be designed with a sleek shape to reduce air resistance. Additionally, increasing the force moving the object forward can help overcome the retarding force.

5. Why is it important to understand retarding forces?

Understanding retarding forces is important for many practical applications, such as designing efficient vehicles or predicting the motion of objects in different environments. It also helps us understand the laws of motion and how forces interact with objects in the real world.