Don't understand what the problem wants.

• Thread starter Physics_wiz
  • Start date
In summary, the two tables give different information about the elastic and plastic regions of the stress-strain diagram. The first table gives load vs. elongation, while the second table gives load vs. area. The overlap in the data means that poisson's ratio may not be accurate for both regions.
Physics_wiz
This problem is from my Intermediate Mechanics of Materials class. Given are two tables for a specimen of medium-carbon steel with initial diameter 0.503 in and gauge length 2 in. The two tables are labeled "Elastic State" and "Plastic State".

The first table gives the Load vs. Elongation...Load ranging from 1,000 lbf to 9,200 lbf and Elongation ranging from 0.0004 into 0.0089 in.

The second table gives load vs. Area. Load ranging from 8,800 lbf to 14,800 lbf and Area ranging from 0.1984 in^2 to 0.1077 in^2.

The question is to plot the engineering stress-strain diagram using two scales for the unit strain (epsilon), one from zero to about 0.02 in/in and the other from zero to maximum strain.

I don't understand what it means by the bold part. Also, how can I plot stress vs strain for the plastic part if I only have the change in area...I don't have the elongation so I can't find strain.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, I got an idea. There's one data point overlap between the two tables at 9200 lbf. For this point, I know the elongation (from first table) and area (from second table) so I can find the lateral and longitudinal strain. From those, I can find poisson's ratio. After finding poisson's ratio, I can use it on the second table to get the longitudinal strain and have load (which can be changed to stress) vs. strain instead of load vs. area. From that I can plot the stress-strain diagram for the plastic area.

I really need to know if what I'm thinking about is right or wrong or if there's an easier way to do it because this would be a pain in the a$$ to do for all the data points and...I have to do it by hand on engineering paper and plot everything by hand too. Any advice would be appreciated.

After looking at the data again, I saw that there are two points that overlap. Poisson's ratio is different for both of them...should I use the one that's more in the elastic part or the one that's more in the plastic part?

In the purely elastic region, the strain is given by [itex]\epsilon = \sigma / E[/itex], and this begins before the 0.2% (strain) offset, where Yield strength is usually determined. The point where the stress-strain relationship departs the purely linear relationship is the proportional limit.

If one loads a tensile specimen to the point where stress = yield strength (as determine from the 0.2% offset, then there should be approximately 0.2% permanent (plastic) deformation (elongation) remaining when the specimen is unloaded (in a uniaxial test).

Going beyond yield, up to the ultimate tensile strength, the relationship between stress and strain is more complicated. At ultimate tensile strength, the uniform elongation is reached and that is when necking begins. Or course, this assumes a more or less ideal material.

What does "Don't understand what the problem wants." mean?

"Don't understand what the problem wants." is a common phrase used when someone is struggling to comprehend the task or objective at hand. It typically implies that the individual is having trouble understanding the problem statement or instructions provided.

Why is it important to understand what the problem wants?

Understanding what the problem wants is crucial because it allows you to effectively and efficiently approach a solution. It helps you identify the main goal or objective, and enables you to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.

What are some strategies for understanding what the problem wants?

One strategy is to carefully read and analyze the problem statement multiple times. You can also try breaking down the problem into smaller, more specific questions. Additionally, seeking clarification from someone else or conducting further research can help you gain a better understanding.

What should I do if I still don't understand what the problem wants?

If you are still struggling to understand the problem, it is important to seek help from a teacher, mentor, or colleague. They can offer a fresh perspective and provide guidance on how to approach the problem. It is also helpful to take a break and come back to the problem with a clear mind.

How can I prevent not understanding what the problem wants in the future?

To prevent this issue in the future, it is important to develop strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Practice breaking down problems into smaller parts and identifying the main goal or objective. Additionally, actively seeking feedback and asking questions when unsure can also help improve your understanding of problems.