Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Don't want your kid learning about the evils of evolution? Move to Missouri!

1. Aug 10, 2012 #1

SixNein

Gold Member

A few day's ago, the great state of Missouri passed Amendment 2 which has a clause that specifically states

http://www.sos.mo.gov/elections/2012ballot/fulltext_1.pdf [Broken]

Along with other religiously inspired text that was mostly already covered under existing law.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2012 #2
    In other words, if the student doesn't want to learn about evolution, the student doesn't have to.

What happens when a kid claims all of the subjects other than gym class violate his religious beliefs?

4. Aug 10, 2012 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Well, there will be an ever widening gap between the educated and the uneducated.

How is a teacher supposed to teach a class if every student claims something is against their religion? Will classes be divided by religion now? "Fundamental Christian Earth myths 101? Or will the kids that have parents that oppose a subject have their kids excused from classes?

5. Aug 10, 2012 #4
    Ahh good, this goes way beyond Evolution and allows me to skip pretty much my entire Geology class, good deal!

Also, being able to round Pi to 3 is going to make Trig a snap!
    1 Kings 7:23
    "And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about.

6. Aug 10, 2012 #5
    And any history beyond 6000 years ago can be dropped, since nothing existed before that.

This is what happens when you let people with an improper education make decisions on education.

Look at the wording of that thing. When they say students can worship "Almighty God", they're talking about a specific god. How hard is it to keep religion out of politics? Just say "their god" or something like that, why involve an obviously biased opinion into it?

7. Aug 10, 2012 #6

Dembadon

Gold Member

The sad thing is there are still a substantial amount of educated1 people who believe in fairy tales as well. I don't know what else to call it besides intentional delusion in an effort to avoid cognitive dissonance.

1 read: degree-holding

8. Aug 10, 2012 #7

SixNein

Gold Member

I'm curious if we aren't seeing an attempt to establish some kind of theocracy. There seems to be a great deal of theocratic sounding propaganda out there. Just look at the republican lineup this year and what it had to say.

9. Aug 10, 2012 #8

Evo

How will these kids be able to pass the exit exam from High School? Common subjects rejected due to religion are the sciences, history, English Literature, even art and music.

10. Aug 10, 2012 #9

SixNein

Gold Member

If they can opt out of a class, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to opt out of a test.

11. Aug 10, 2012 #10
    Let's look on the bright side of things: this means there will be less competition for me once I start applying for college.

12. Aug 10, 2012 #11

SixNein

Gold Member

And then you realize the consequences when this generation becomes a part of society.

13. Aug 10, 2012 #12

SixNein

Gold Member

Perhaps Florida has a solution:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...entity-or-belief-amendments-religious-freedom

14. Aug 10, 2012 #13
    The arrogance of this forum astounds me. I'm done posting or frequenting here. Have a good day.

15. Aug 10, 2012 #14

SixNein

Gold Member

The topic can effect America for generations. I don't think it's arrogant to challenge the merit of this power grab currently underway by the christian-right.

16. Aug 10, 2012 #15

Evo

Apparently he agrees with throwing education out. :uhh:

17. Aug 10, 2012 #16

Dembadon

Gold Member

I'm not sure how you've come to the conclusion that this entire forum is arrogant, especially if your conclusion is based only on the posts in this thread. :confused:

18. Aug 10, 2012 #17

SixNein

Gold Member

Well, the topic is a political hot potato because it involves religion; however, I brought it up because the trend is causing me a great deal of concern.

To quote Max Planck....

Suppose the christian right doesn't have to win these arguments; instead, it controls the education of the next generation.

19. Aug 11, 2012 #18

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

In the absence of a reply from Dembadon to indicate the contrary, it seems hard not to conclude that it must have been something that ran against his religious beliefs and, if so, that by making the whole forum accountable he more or less proves the point about a "gap" being present in regarding the ability to make a rational models and arguments.

20. Aug 11, 2012 #19
    Prehistory. But then, I'm pretty arrogant. Perhaps he meant me.

21. Aug 11, 2012 #20

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

See, your problem here is that you are attempting to use logic with someone who apparently is a religious fundamentalist. It doesn't work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook