Don't worry if I'm missing a few days

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
In summary, Moonbear is worried about leaving town for a meeting as her parents may come to stay at her house due to a hurricane in Florida. She is concerned about how her parents will handle things and what they may do to her house. Her mom is known to rearrange things and scrub pots, while her step-dad can be helpful but often gets hurt. This is the first time her parents have visited her since she moved out and she is unsure whether to leave her house messy or tidy for their arrival. The conversation also includes jokes about the hurricane and Moonbear's parents checking her garbage, linen, and hard drive.
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have to head out of town for a meeting Sunday and Monday, which doesn't seem long, but I might return to find my parents in my house I'll know by tomorrow...they are getting tired of getting dumped on by hurricanes in FL, so if Ivan is headed their way, they're headed my way :cry: This should be interesting. They've never visited my house before, and will likely be arriving after I've left, so they will be on their own in my house for two days without me! I don't even want to think what they'll do to the place. Based on my experiences with them in my sister's house, my mom will start rearranging things if they aren't where she would put them, and without me here to stop her, I may never find anything in my kitchen again! And my pots may never survive her scrubbing. But, she seems to be hedging based on the email I just got, so my house may still be safe. Anyway, if I have to entertain the parents, I might be away a few more days (or I may just pretend I have a lot of work to do and ignore them while visiting PF).

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm worried!

Hurry back moonbear! We're going to miss you! :cry:

Be careful!

QUICK, Moonbear! Hide EVERYTHING!

Mom is a pot scrubber?! Hey! Send her up my way! Does she do windows? Dig holes? Cut down trees?? Pull blackberry vines?

Moonbear said:
so if Ivan is headed their way, they're headed my way :cry:

Why do people leave when they know I'm coming? :cry: :cry: :cry:

It's ALWAYS been that way, dear. :wink:

Oh, thank heavens! I have been waiting so patiently for the Hurricane Ivan cracks! :biggrin:

I wish you a safe and pleasant journey, Moonbear. Hurry back!

My concern is that Ivan may generate a Tsunami! It has happened before! :biggrin:

We will miss you Moonbear. As for the parents, bite your nails when needed.

Tsunami said:
QUICK, Moonbear! Hide EVERYTHING!

Mom is a pot scrubber?! Hey! Send her up my way! Does she do windows? Dig holes? Cut down trees?? Pull blackberry vines?

Yes, a pot scrubber, but never the pots you want her to scrub! I have a very good collection of anodized cookware that doesn't require scrubbing, and as long as nobody touches a Brillo pad to it, it will stay that way.

Nope, see, that's the problem, she won't do any of the things you WISH she'd do for you, she does what she deems you need done for you. These are NEVER the same. Don't think I haven't considered leaving her with an acceptable chore list to distract her from the things she will destroy, but it won't work. I thought about suggesting she could pull weeds from the garden, but I'm afraid I won't have any flowers left when she's done. I also have blackberry vines that need pulling, along with one of those thistle bushes, but again, I can just envision the clematis getting pulled right along with it. Mom is scary and destructive.

On the other hand, my step-dad can be persuaded to be helpful. His problem is he tries to do too much and hurts himself. So, he just needs to be guided toward helping with things that won't get him hurt.

The good news is they don't visit often. This is actually the first time they've ever visited me since I moved out of their house. I've lived in three states since then, and no visits. I've even ocassionally emailed mom pictures of my guest bedroom to prove there is a bed in it (this has never been a guarantee when visiting my sister, who she does visit far more often). And this isn't even definite yet. I'm quite undecided between turning the house into a disaster area before they arrive so they don't want to get into the habit of being too comfortable here, and tidying it up until everything sparkles to impress them. :rofl:

Math Is Hard said:
Oh, thank heavens! I have been waiting so patiently for the Hurricane Ivan cracks! :biggrin:
I’ll get things started then;
Ivan Seeking said:
My concern is that Ivan may generate a Tsunami! It has happened before! :biggrin:
It might infuriate a Tsunami, but really I’m thinking Ivan will prove to be a simple blowhard… :rofl:

Moonbear, your parents need to check your garbage, linen, and most of all your hard drive ! :biggrin:

Have a goodin. :rolleyes:

BoulderHead said:
It might infuriate a Tsunami, but really I’m thinking Ivan will prove to be a simple blowhard… :rofl:

Okay, just for that I'm sending my friends to see you...the one's with the probes. When you see the blue light, hold your ankles tight. :rofl:

Which is more destructive - Ivan or a Tsunami?

Blow me down !

Ivan Seeking said:
Okay, just for that I'm sending my friends to see you...the one's with the probes. When you see the blue light, hold your ankles tight. :rofl:
a) Fantastic, the companionship will add meaning to my life.
b) Intimacy at long last!
c) After my essence has been extracted I hope to live forever in a rustproof mechanical body of some sort.

BoulderHead said:
Moonbear, your parents need to check your garbage, linen, and most of all your hard drive ! :biggrin:

:grumpy: Great, now I need to do all my laundry before I leave too, just in case mom arrives. I don't need her trying to be helpful hunting through my dresser drawers looking for where to put my underthings away...there are some things parents just are better off not knowing their daughters own. :shy: :blushing: The hard drive I'm not worried about. My laptop will be with me, the other relics mom won't even know how to turn on (some assembly required). And the trash gets picked up tomorrow, so I can get rid of all that evidence. :biggrin:

Okay, now I have to think, has she sent me any horrid gifts for the house that have been banished to the basement and need to be brought up and prominently displayed so she doesn't think I didn't appreciate them?

I'm suddenly glad I'm not married. My own parents are enough, I can't imagine having to do this twice as often with in-laws! :rofl:

Moonbear said:
Okay, now I have to think, has she sent me any horrid gifts for the house that have been banished to the basement and need to be brought up and prominently displayed so she doesn't think I didn't appreciate them?
Uh oh.

Moonbear said:
I'm suddenly glad I'm not married. My own parents are enough, I can't imagine having to do this twice as often with in-laws! :rofl:
Remind me to tell you about my EX in laws. :rofl: :devil:

I've also been wanting to say something about hurricance Ivan, but I've been waiting for those who are more gifted with glib tongues. Where the heck are they??

What does "Don't worry if I'm missing a few days" mean?

"Don't worry if I'm missing a few days" is a commonly used phrase that means not to stress or be concerned if something is not done or accomplished within a certain time frame. It implies that it is okay to take breaks or have some room for error.

Why is it important to not worry if you're missing a few days?

It is important to not worry if you're missing a few days because it allows for flexibility and self-care. Putting too much pressure on oneself to always be productive and never take breaks can lead to burnout and decreased productivity in the long run.

How can I apply "Don't worry if I'm missing a few days" in my daily life?

You can apply "Don't worry if I'm missing a few days" in your daily life by learning to give yourself grace and understanding that it is okay to take breaks and have days where things do not go as planned. It is important to prioritize self-care and not be too hard on yourself.

Is it better to have a consistent routine or to not worry if you're missing a few days?

It is important to find a balance between having a consistent routine and not worrying if you're missing a few days. Consistency can be beneficial for productivity and achieving goals, but it is also important to allow room for breaks and self-care to avoid burnout.

Can "Don't worry if I'm missing a few days" be applied in a professional setting?

Yes, "Don't worry if I'm missing a few days" can be applied in a professional setting. It is important to have a healthy work-life balance and not put too much pressure on oneself to always be productive. Taking breaks and practicing self-care can actually lead to increased productivity and overall well-being.