• Thread starter vincentm
  • Start date
cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

I have to say, I quite like Subway!

Evo
Mentor

Subway must be better overseas. They've gotten so stingy with the meat here, sometimes it's actually hard to tell if any is on the sandwich. And there is too much bread.

by the time I get down to the cashier, my subways are more like a salad sandwich---

I keep saying 'more olives' ,'more olives' etc. on so many that they look up at me with this 'funny' look

Evo
Mentor

I like schlotzsky's (first photo0

Second photo is a subway sandwich opened so you can see what's inside.

Attachments

Last edited:
turbo
Gold Member

My buddy makes Dagwood sandwiches on a huge Kaiser roll that look a lot like that. You need napkins because every time you take a bite, ingredients try to squish out from between the buns. If you'd prefer, you can skip the big roll and get the ingredients loaded into a pocket made from a split 10" unleavened Syrian bread. Either way, they are good. The last time he moved the shop (to get much-needed space), he installed a nice area for sit-down meals and built a bakery out back so that he would not be as dependent on outside suppliers for his breads, rolls, pizza shells, etc.

After the expansion, he started selling fresh-made donuts and pastries, breakfast pizza by the slice, and lots of other stuff that he had no room for before. Around breakfast and lunch-time it is very common to see several State Police cruisers in his lot as the troopers converge for a nice sit-down meal. Don't try to rob Al's Pizza! Troopers will hunt you down with enthusiasm!

Barry needs to get his web-site updated - they have been at it for 41 years, now.
http://www.alspizzaskowhegan.com/

Last edited:

Though, after Evo's post, I'm longing to be in NJ and craving a good sub again...that one would have been the #1 at the sub shop I used to go to where I grew up (oh, except for mayo...ick, that doesn't belong on a sub at all). Here, even the "decent" sub shop needs to have me tell them what to put on the sub. They have the good bread, but don't seem to understand that a sub should be topped with provolone cheese, SHREDDED lettuce, onions, tomato, salt, pepper, oregano and OIL and VINEGAR. Anything else is just a sandwich on big bread.
I'm surprised. To me, the bread is the key ingredient. Crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside. Amoroso's bakes it. I've never gotten it outside of the Phila suburbs. Philadelphia is the only place in the world where you can't get a Philly cheesesteak. All we get are cheesesteaks, and they are nothing like Philly cheesesteaks. It's the bread.

Evo
Mentor

This is nice, now I don't need to decide what to eat, I will just check with Evo every night to see what she is going to have then order the same thing.

So Evo what are we going to have to eat tomorrow?
I don't know sas, I'm thinking a big salad tonight.

vincentm
Gold Member

Second photo is a subway sandwich opened so you can see what's inside.
Schlotzkys is the best, i miss eating there.