Finding the Heavier Doobie: Determining the Hash-filled One in 2 Weighs

• Thread starter Tau_Muon_PlanetEater
  • Start date
In summary, in order to determine which doobie contains the hash, you can use the balance beam scale to weigh the doobies only twice. First, weigh 123x456. If 123 is the heaviest, then weigh 1x2. If 1 equals 2, pick 3; if not, pick the heaviest. If 123 is the lightest, then weigh 4x5. If 4 equals 5, pick 6; if not, pick the heaviest. If 123 equals 456, then weigh 7x8. If 7 equals 8, pick 9; if not, pick the heaviest. This method allows you to determine which doob
Tau_Muon_PlanetEater
There are nine doobies on a table of equal size but one of them contains hash which makes it weigh more than the other eight doobies. You have a balance beam scale in front of you that you can use weigh the doobies only twice. Determine the method of finding out which doobie contains the hash, using only two weighs.

Physics news on Phys.org
Weigh 123x456 .
If 123 is the heaviest, then weigh 1x2 . If 1 equals 2 , pick 3 ; if not, pick the heaviest.
If 123 is the lightest, then weigh 4x5 . If 4 equals 5 , pick 6 ; if not, pick the heaviest.
If 123 equals 456 , then weigh 7x8 . If 7 equals 8 , pick 9 ; if not, pick the heaviest.

I hope you have understood the Forty 1lb Weights' solution...

Last edited:
BTW, take a look at the threads 'Nine Digit Numbers' and
'I lost my calculator batteries in a flood' , too.

I guess you've lost your calculator batteries... :smile:

Last edited:
Roger that Rogerio. Sorry I am not a math guy. I try and try but ultimately I am stupid. The doctor forgot to catch me when I popped our of my mother and I landed head first. P.S. My lb. weight solution is correct I think, if you can only put weights on one scale end.

1. How do you determine the heavier doobie?

To determine the heavier doobie, you will need to use a scale to weigh each doobie. The one with the higher weight will be the heavier one.

2. Why is it important to find the heavier doobie?

It is important to find the heavier doobie because it may contain a higher concentration of hash, which can affect the potency and effects of the doobie when smoked.

3. What is the purpose of using 2 weighs in this experiment?

Using 2 weighs allows for a more accurate determination of the heavier doobie. By weighing each doobie separately, you can compare the weights and determine which one is heavier.

4. What factors could affect the results of this experiment?

Factors that could affect the results of this experiment include the accuracy of the scale, any environmental conditions that could alter the weight of the doobies, and any errors in the measurement or recording of the weights.

5. Can this experiment be applied to other substances besides doobies?

Yes, this experiment can be applied to other substances as long as they can be measured and compared using a scale. However, it is important to note that the method may need to be adjusted depending on the specific substance being tested.