Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doom3 Linux Here!

1. Oct 5, 2004 #1

Staff Emeritus

As promised by Carmack, the linux version of doom 3 is here. Get is while it's hot through bittorrent:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus

I finally had time to play through the demo. Out of 10 I would give the game a 5. The reasons are:

1. The story is weak. Where the heck did the monsters come from? Out of no where a light appears and a monster comes out? Also, were did all the ammo packs and med kits come from. The first time I went through there were only a few. On the way back there was plenty of ammo and med kits just laying around.

2. The AI is dumb. Head shots are too easy to make and strafing left and right confuses the heck out of the monsters. The best way to kill a bunch of monsters is to lure them into a small room and stand on a something (Computer console, box,etc) while making head shots with the shotgun from above.

3. The PDA "feature" is annoying. O look, I got an audio message from Bob the mechanic. Yippy. Now I can hear him complain about the noises he hears.

On a positive note, the graphics are very good. I'm running on high detail at 640 by 480 with 2x antialiasing with little to no loss in frame rates.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2004
  4. Oct 8, 2004 #3
    Just curious, are you using a 128mb video card?

I asked because I tried running America's Army with a 128 and experienced a noticeable slowdown on the gameplay graphics wise.
  5. Oct 9, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus

No, I have a GeForce FX 5700 256MB.
  6. Oct 9, 2004 #5

Staff: Mentor

For that you have to finish the game...
    That's something you just have to let go - haven't you played this type of game before?
    True, but then again, they are monsters.

My only complaint was its a little dark.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?