Solving Doomsday Equations: Initial Conditions and Finite Time Limits

• Thread starter hangainlover
  • Start date
In summary, a doomsday equation is a differential equation of the form dy/dt = ky^(1+c), where k is a positive constant. By integrating this equation and using the initial condition y(0)=y(subzero), we can determine the solution to be y(t) = (-A^c)/((A^c)*(kt)-1). Furthermore, by plugging in the initial condition and solving for the constant T, we can show that there is a finite time t = ta (doomsday) such that lim(t->T-) wy(t) = infinity. This means that the population described by this doomsday equation will eventually reach an infinite size at the time t = ta. Additionally, in the case
hangainlover

Homework Statement

P: Let c be a positive number. A differential equation of the form: dy/dt = ky^(1+c)

where k is a positive constant, is called a doomsday equation because the equation in the expression ky^(1+c) is larger than that for natural growth (that is, ky).

(a) Determine the solution that satisfies the initial condition y(0)=y(subzero)

(b) Show that there is a finite time t = ta (doomsday) such that lim(t->T-) wy(t) = infinity

(c) An especially prolific breed of rabbits has the growth term ky^(1.01). If 2 such rabbits breed initially and the warren has 16 rabbits after three months, then when is doomsday?

Homework Equations

integration

The Attempt at a Solution

First i wanted to find solution to the dy/dx (meaning i integrated it)

I got y^c = -c(kx+T)

but i could not define it as function y because of the negative sign in front of C

What should i do?

Physics news on Phys.org
hangainlover said:

Homework Statement

P: Let c be a positive number. A differential equation of the form: dy/dt = ky^(1+c)

where k is a positive constant, is called a doomsday equation because the equation in the expression ky^(1+c) is larger than that for natural growth (that is, ky).

(a) Determine the solution that satisfies the initial condition y(0)=y(subzero)

(b) Show that there is a finite time t = ta (doomsday) such that lim(t->T-) wy(t) = infinity

(c) An especially prolific breed of rabbits has the growth term ky^(1.01). If 2 such rabbits breed initially and the warren has 16 rabbits after three months, then when is doomsday?

Homework Equations

integration

The Attempt at a Solution

First i wanted to find solution to the dy/dx (meaning i integrated it)
I'm not sure what you mean by "solution to the dy/dx." There is no x in this problem, so it doesn't make sense to talk about dy/dx. And maybe you are using "dy/dx" as shorthand for differential equation, which is needlessly confusing.
hangainlover said:
I got y^c = -c(kx+T)
Your solution above is incorrect, and not only because you have x instead of t.

The differential equation dy/dt = ky1+c is separable. Your next equation should be dy/(y1 + c) = k dt. Integrate both sides. What do you get?
hangainlover said:
but i could not define it as function y because of the negative sign in front of C

What should i do?

sorry what i meant by dx or x were dt and t
i apologize for that confusion.
so starting from dy/(y1 + c) = k dt
If i integrate that, 1/(1-1-c)y^(-1-c+1) =kt + T (upper case T is the constant)
-c^(-1)*y^(-c)=kt+T
I got y^(-c)=-c(kt+T)

what am i doing wrong?

Not knowing how to isolate Y by getting rid of that the exponent, -c, i decided to plug in the initial condition to define the constant T.

at t=0, y^(-c)=-c*T
A(initial)^(-c) =-cT
Therefore, T= ((A(initial)^(-c))/(-c)

hangainlover said:
sorry what i meant by dx or x were dt and t
i apologize for that confusion.
so starting from dy/(y1 + c) = k dt
If i integrate that, 1/(1-1-c)y^(-1-c+1) =kt + T (upper case T is the constant)
-c^(-1)*y^(-c)=kt+T
I got y^(-c)=-c(kt+T)

what am i doing wrong?
Looks fine so far. You can simplify it some more, though.
[tex]y^{-c} = -c(kt + T)[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{1}{y^c}= -(ckt + cT)[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow y^c= \frac{-1}{ckt + cT}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow y = y(t) = \left(\frac{-1}{ckt + cT}\right)^{1/c}[/tex]

Now use your initial condition that y(0) = y0 and continue from there to parts b and c of your problem.

so at t=0, ((-1)/(cT))^(1/c) =A initial

-1/(cT) = A (initial)^c
T = -1 /(cA^c)

after substituting that for the constant T, i get, y(t) = (-A^c)/((A^c)*(kt)-1)

you can see that at t=1/k, as t approaches T from the negative side, the y value approahces infinity
does this answer part b?

What is the Doomsday Equation?

The Doomsday Equation, also known as the Drake Equation, is a mathematical formula that attempts to estimate the number of intelligent civilizations in our galaxy that could communicate with Earth.

How is the Doomsday Equation calculated?

The Doomsday Equation takes into account factors such as the rate of star formation, the percentage of stars that have planets, the number of planets that could potentially support life, and the likelihood of life evolving on those planets. These factors are multiplied together to calculate an estimate of the number of intelligent civilizations in our galaxy.

What is the purpose of the Doomsday Equation?

The Doomsday Equation is meant to stimulate scientific discussion and consideration of the possibility of extraterrestrial life. It is also used as a tool for researchers to estimate the likelihood of finding intelligent life in our galaxy.

Is the Doomsday Equation accurate?

The Doomsday Equation is based on educated estimations and assumptions, so it is not considered to be a precise calculation. It is constantly being revised and updated as new scientific discoveries are made.

What implications does the Doomsday Equation have for humanity?

The Doomsday Equation raises questions about the future of humanity and the potential existence of other intelligent life in our universe. It also highlights the importance of taking care of our planet and considering the impact of our actions on the potential for life to exist elsewhere.