Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doomsday Equations

1. Apr 26, 2005 #1
    Hi, I found the same problem I needed a help to solve somewhere in this forum. However, I could not reach the answers only with the help provided on that page. I would really appreciate it if someone could offer me some help.

P: Let c be a positive number. A differential equation of the form: dy/dt = ky^(1+c)

where k is a positive constant, is called a doomsday equation because the equation in the expression ky^(1+c) is larger than that for natural growth (that is, ky).

(a) Determine the solution that satisfies the initial condition y(0)=y(subzero)

What I did was

dy/y^-(1+c)=k dt Integrate both sides I got
    y(t)=1/[ck(T-t)]^(1/c) for some constant T

Is this correct?

(ba) Show that there is a finite time t = ta (doomsday) such that lim(t->T-) wy(t) = infinity

For the equation, infinity = (limt->T-)1/[ck(T-t)]^1/c, when t approaches to T, T=t or T-t=0, which makes the denominator 0, hence the value of the equation becomes infinity.

Is this what I need to say, or should I get the exact value of t (can I?)???

(c) An especially prolific breed of rabbits has the growth term ky^(1.01). If 2 such rabbits breed initially and the warren has 16 rabbits after three months, then when is doomsday?

Since y^(1.01), c=0.1. and Y(3)=16, By substituting those numbers to the equation to obtain the value of k.

This time use wy(0)=2 to get the value of T

How does that sound?
    I have no confident with these solutions, especially (c).

Someone, please help me!
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Almost correct, but do you agree that T must fulfill:
    True, by the above I've mentioned, you know the value of doomsday time T as expressed in [tex]c,k,y_{0}[/tex]
    You have instead:
    These equations determines k and T. It's easiest to first solve for kT from the first equation, then k from the second equation, and then determine T.
    Welcome to Pf.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  4. Apr 26, 2005 #3
    Thank you

Thank you so much for you help. Your explanation was very clear and helped me understand the problems in great extent! I'm taking an independent class, so I could not get any help from my instructor (it would take a long time to get answers). I should have registered on this forum long time ago!
    Thank you again. :rofl:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?