1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doomsday Equations

1. Apr 26, 2005 #1
    Hi, I found the same problem I needed a help to solve somewhere in this forum. However, I could not reach the answers only with the help provided on that page. I would really appreciate it if someone could offer me some help.

P: Let c be a positive number. A differential equation of the form: dy/dt = ky^(1+c)

where k is a positive constant, is called a doomsday equation because the equation in the expression ky^(1+c) is larger than that for natural growth (that is, ky).

(a) Determine the solution that satisfies the initial condition y(0)=y(subzero)

What I did was

dy/y^-(1+c)=k dt Integrate both sides I got
    y(t)=1/[ck(T-t)]^(1/c) for some constant T

Is this correct?

(ba) Show that there is a finite time t = ta (doomsday) such that lim(t->T-) wy(t) = infinity

For the equation, infinity = (limt->T-)1/[ck(T-t)]^1/c, when t approaches to T, T=t or T-t=0, which makes the denominator 0, hence the value of the equation becomes infinity.

Is this what I need to say, or should I get the exact value of t (can I?)???

(c) An especially prolific breed of rabbits has the growth term ky^(1.01). If 2 such rabbits breed initially and the warren has 16 rabbits after three months, then when is doomsday?

Since y^(1.01), c=0.1. and Y(3)=16, By substituting those numbers to the equation to obtain the value of k.

16^0.1=1/[0.1*k(3)]^(1/0.1)
    [0.3k]^10=1/1.32
    0.3k=(1/1.32)^(1/10)
    k=0.9726

This time use wy(0)=2 to get the value of T

2=1/[0.1*0.9726*T]^(1/10)
    [0.1*0.9726*T]^(1/10)=1/2
    [0.1*0.9726*T]=(1/2)^(1/10)
    T=0.9330/0.09726=(approx)9.6months

How does that sound?
    I have no confident with these solutions, especially (c).

Someone, please help me!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Almost correct, but do you agree that T must fulfill:
    [tex]y_{0}=\frac{1}{(ckT)^{\frac{1}{c}}}[/tex]
    True, by the above I've mentioned, you know the value of doomsday time T as expressed in [tex]c,k,y_{0}[/tex]
    You have instead:
    [tex]2^{0.1}=y(0)^{0.1}=\frac{1}{(0.1kT)^{\frac{1}{0.1}}}[/tex]
    [tex]16^{0.1}=y(3)^{0.1}=\frac{1}{(0.1k(T-3))^{\frac{1}{0.1}}}[/tex]
    These equations determines k and T. It's easiest to first solve for kT from the first equation, then k from the second equation, and then determine T.
    Welcome to Pf.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  4. Apr 26, 2005 #3
    Thank you

Thank you so much for you help. Your explanation was very clear and helped me understand the problems in great extent! I'm taking an independent class, so I could not get any help from my instructor (it would take a long time to get answers). I should have registered on this forum long time ago!
    Thank you again. :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?