Maximizing Strength of Refrigerator Door Magnets

In summary, the conversation is about improving refrigerator door magnets and the use of neodymium magnets. The participants discuss the thickness needed for saturation, the advantages of using a cup, and adhesive recommendations for gluing latex rubber to a shiny magnet. They also mention the lack of simple equations or rules of thumb for magnet thickness and strength, but recommend a website and an iPhone app for more information.
m iket
I think this belongs here because its about magnets, except for the adhesive part which may be materials.

Im improving my refrigerator door magnets that constantly get knocked off or shift around all the time.

1. What thickness of neodymium magnet will saturate a refrigerator door?? For instance I have a 1/32" magnet but with a layer of 5mil latex glove and the paint between them its significantly weaker than my larger neodymium magnets to the door.

2. Will a piece of thick sheet metal on the backside of a thin but wide magnet provide most of the advantage of a cup?? Are there commercial sources for thin cups? I'll probably use 3/4" or 1" wide neodymiums.

3 What adhesive would be good for gluing latex rubber to a shiny magnet?? The friction from the rubber makes it much harder to slide around than a smooth magnet. I tried 3m 77 spray adhesive but it pulled off the magnet when sliding it around.

Are there any simple equations or rules of thumb regarding magnet thickness or strength? I tried but couldn't find the information i was looking for.

Engineering news on Phys.org
m iket said:
I think this belongs here because its about magnets, except for the adhesive part which may be materials.

Im improving my refrigerator door magnets that constantly get knocked off or shift around all the time.

1. What thickness of neodymium magnet will saturate a refrigerator door?? For instance I have a 1/32" magnet but with a layer of 5mil latex glove and the paint between them its significantly weaker than my larger neodymium magnets to the door.

More less any useful size of neodymium will saturate the metal under it on a refrigerator door.

2. Will a piece of thick sheet metal on the backside of a thin but wide magnet provide most of the advantage of a cup?? Are there commercial sources for thin cups? I'll probably use 3/4" or 1" wide neodymiums.

No. You really need to "close the circuit" of magnetic field.

3 What adhesive would be good for gluing latex rubber to a shiny magnet?? The friction from the rubber makes it much harder to slide around than a smooth magnet. I tried 3m 77 spray adhesive but it pulled off the magnet when sliding it around.

Shiny magnet are lousy to glue to with any adhesive. Recommend you rough the magnet surface first with sandblast (or sandpaper, in a pinch). Loctite as a number of adhesives they designate as "magnet bonders" that work pretty well. Most epoxies are fairly good, also.

Are there any simple equations or rules of thumb regarding magnet thickness or strength? I tried but couldn't find the information i was looking for.

http://www.arnoldmagnetics.com/Content1.aspx?id=4621

Or you can download Arnold's iPhone app.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How can I increase the strength of my refrigerator door magnets?

There are a few ways to maximize the strength of your refrigerator door magnets. One method is to use stronger magnets, such as neodymium magnets, which have a stronger magnetic field than traditional magnets. Another option is to increase the number of magnets used, as multiple magnets will create a stronger hold. Additionally, you can try placing the magnets closer to the edges of the refrigerator door, as this is where the magnetic field is strongest.

2. Can I make my own refrigerator magnets with stronger magnetic strength?

Yes, you can make your own refrigerator magnets with stronger magnetic strength. As mentioned before, using neodymium magnets will provide a stronger hold. You can also try using thicker or larger magnets, or layering multiple magnets together to increase the magnetic field.

3. Will the material of the refrigerator door affect the strength of the magnets?

Yes, the material of the refrigerator door can affect the strength of the magnets. For example, if the door is made of stainless steel, which is not magnetic, the magnets will not stick as well. However, if the door is made of iron or a material that is attracted to magnets, the magnets will have a stronger hold.

4. How can I test the strength of my refrigerator door magnets?

There are a few ways to test the strength of your refrigerator door magnets. One method is to see how many sheets of paper the magnet can hold up. The more sheets it can hold, the stronger the magnet. Another option is to use a magnetometer, which measures the strength of a magnetic field. You can also try placing the magnets on different areas of the refrigerator door and see where they stick strongest.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when handling strong magnets?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to keep in mind when handling strong magnets. These magnets can be very powerful and can attract to each other or to metal objects, which can cause injury if not handled carefully. It is important to keep them away from electronic devices, credit cards, and pacemakers. Also, be sure to handle them with gloves or a cloth to avoid pinching your skin. Keep them out of reach of children and pets to prevent accidents.