Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Dopamine reuptake inhibitors

1. May 14, 2006 #1

Simfish

Gold Member

Does getting addicted/tolerant to one of them make you necessarily addicted/tolerant to others?

I'm on bupropion to treat my ADD (primarily inattentive) symptoms, which is one. But so are cocaine, Adderall, and Ritalin. So if I get tolerant to bupropion, will that make me necessarily tolerant to Adderall and Ritalin? And then screw me over unless I get a modafinil prescription?

And what of other drugs that increase dopamine, but by other methods?

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2006 #2
  4. May 15, 2006 #3

Simfish

Gold Member

Yeah, but I'll only see him in another couple of weeks.

Oh, you take bupropion? For what? And by the way, do you feel the effects almost immediately? Does it make your attention span really improve? And what dose do you take? And have you gotten any seizures?

Oh, and I already read the Wiki articles - nonetheless, they do not answer my questions nor do they address the issue of how it compares with other DRI.

I've also looked at research journals comparing bupropion with the amphetamines, but it's only in terms of scores - it still doesn't explain when the effects come, are they acute or not, etc... And not for schoolwork either - which is what I'm primarily concerned about.

Last edited: May 15, 2006
  5. May 15, 2006 #4

Simfish

Gold Member

I know that people who take Ritalin and Adderall feel the effects immediately, so I'm wondering if bupropion is like that.

6. May 15, 2006 #5

Simfish

Gold Member

But as for seizures - if you overdose and get a seizure, then will that be the only seizure you get from the overdose?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?