Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doping an ionic compound

1. Aug 9, 2011 #1
    Before I begin my next experiment, I was hoping to get some feedback in regards to it.

What I was thinking of doing was growing a crystal of sodium chloride, doped with copper. I have chosen sodium chloride as the host mostly because it is the easiest pure compound I can produce with what I have on hand (my shelf of chemicals includes both hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide). My selection of copper as a dopant is for a similar reason: I have more powdered copper than I know what to do with.

My concern is in regards to doping the NaCl crystal with copper. To get ions of copper into the aqueous solution of sodium chloride, I am thinking it would be best to dissolve some copper dichloride into it.

Should that work? Or, am I going to be looking at a crystal of CuCl2, with some little bits of NaCl mixed in? Or perhaps, copper dichloride doped with sodium?

I would appreciate any thoughts you guys might have.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted