What is the relationship between Doppler Effect and frequency?

In summary, the conversation involves a question about the Doppler effect and frequency. The scenario involves a stationary observer hearing a frequency of 1000 Hz as a train approaches, which then changes to 800 Hz as the train moves away. The speed of sound is known to be 340 m/s, and the goal is to calculate the speed of the train. The equation being used includes the observed frequency, the source frequency, the speed of sound, and the speed of the train. However, the difficulty lies in finding the actual frequency of the train's noise. The information provided does not offer an explanation of how to find this frequency, but suggests using two equations with two unknowns: the train's speed and the train's frequency.
studentmom
I have a question regarding the doppler effect and frequency:

You (a stationary observer) are standing by the railroad tracks and hear a frequency of 1000 Hz as the train approaches... as the train goes away, the frequency changes to 800 Hz. Knowing that the speed of sound is 340 m/s, how fast is the train moving?

Now, I understand that the observed frequency seems different (larger) as the train approaches, and smaller when the train leaves. However, I cannot figure out how to find the actual frequency from the source in order to calculate the speed of the train. It seems to me that I have 2 unknowns. The equation I was trying to use was:
f (observed) = f (source) * (speed of sound/
speed of sound -
speed of train)

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, but the information states the same thing that I already knew... the equation is the same, and it offers no explanation of how to figure out the actual frequency of the train's noise...

??

studentmom said:
Thanks, but the information states the same thing that I already knew... the equation is the same, and it offers no explanation of how to figure out the actual frequency of the train's noise...
??
You don't have only one equation, you have two equations: in the first one you put vd as the train's speed, in the second you put -vd.
So you have two equations in the two unknowns vd and f (train's frequency).

What is the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is a phenomenon that describes the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave, such as sound or light, in relation to an observer's position and motion.

How does the Doppler Effect affect frequency?

The Doppler Effect causes a change in frequency due to the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. If the source and the observer are moving closer together, the frequency increases, and if they are moving farther apart, the frequency decreases.

What is the difference between Doppler Shift and Doppler Effect?

Doppler Shift and Doppler Effect are often used interchangeably, but there is a slight difference. Doppler Shift refers to the actual change in frequency of a wave, while Doppler Effect refers to the overall phenomenon and its causes.

How is the Doppler Effect used in real life?

The Doppler Effect is used in various real-life applications, such as speed radar guns, weather radar systems, and medical ultrasound technology. It is also used in astronomy to measure the movement and speed of stars and galaxies.

Can the Doppler Effect be observed with all types of waves?

Yes, the Doppler Effect can be observed with all types of waves, including sound, light, and water waves. However, the effect is most noticeable with sound waves, as the frequency of sound is within the range of human hearing.