Does the Doppler Effect Affect Wave Velocity in Moving Observers?

In summary, when an observer approaches sound waves, the wave speed and frequency measured by the observer will increase by the same proportion, while the wavelength remains unchanged. This is explained by the equation v=fλ. However, with electromagnetic waves, both the frequency and wavelength change, while the wave speed remains constant at c. This is due to the special theory of relativity and can be seen in the equations for the Doppler effect. When the observer is at rest and the source is moving, only the frequency changes. When the observer is moving and the source is at rest, both the frequency and wavelength change.
Mr Davis 97
Imagine that there is a stationary source that is propagating waves (such as sound waves). Let's say that the wave speed in the medium is 343 m/s. If I am an observer, and I begin to move towards the waves, will the wave speed increase due to the idea of relative velocities, or will only the frequency and wavelength change, in which case wave velocity remains unchanged? How does this idea relate to electromagnetic waves, where the wave speed is a constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
The wave speed and frequency measured by the observer will change, with both increasing by the same proportion. The wavelength will remain the same. It has to, in order for the equation ##v=f\lambda## to hold.

With electromagnetic waves, the frequency and wavelength both change, and the wave speed remains constant at ##c##. The special theory of relativity is used to explain the difference between this treatment and that for sound waves.

andrewkirk said:
The wave speed and frequency measured by the observer will change, with both increasing by the same proportion. The wavelength will remain the same. It has to, in order for the equation ##v=f\lambda## to hold.

With electromagnetic waves, the frequency and wavelength both change, and the wave speed remains constant at ##c##. The special theory of relativity is used to explain the difference between this treatment and that for sound waves.

I guess that makes sense. Could you enumerate the cases where the source approaches the observer and where both the source and the observer approach each other at the same time? I already see that in the case where the observer approaches the source the the velocity and the frequency change in proportion such that the wavelength remains the same. However, in the case where the source is moving towards the observer, the wavelength is smaller; so would frequency change so that velocity remains the same? I am a bit confused and it would be nice if you could list all of the different cases and explain which variables change as a result of the Doppler effect.

Mr Davis 97 said:
However, in the case where the source is moving towards the observer, the wavelength is smaller; so would frequency change so that velocity remains the same?
That is correct.

Okay, now you confused me. When the source moves towards the observer, the observed frequency is more. The observed velocity is more too because of relative motion. Why did the wavelength become smaller?

CrazyNinja said:
When the source moves towards the observer, the observed frequency is more. The observed velocity is more too because of relative motion.
For sound waves, the observed propagation velocity isn't more, if the observer is at rest relative to the medium, and only the source moves. For EM-wave there is no medium, and the observed propagation velocity is always the same.

CrazyNinja said:
The observed velocity is more too because of relative motion.
No it isn't. The wave propagation velocity is determined by the motion of the medium (the air, in the case of sound), not the motion of the emitter. So the velocity is the same.
EDIT: Ah, I see A.T. has already answered this. As you were.

andrewkirk said:
The speed in that equation is the speed of the wave relative to the medium. This does not change in Doppler effect.
Both wavelength and frequency change. You can see that the equations for Doppler effect can be written either in terms of frequency or wavelength.

Okay I figured it out. @Mr Davis 97 .. here is the list you need. All the quantities are as seen by the observer: (correct me if I am wrong)
  1. Observer moving, source at rest : v changes, ƒ changes, λ does not change
  2. Observer at rest, source moving: v does not change, ƒ changes, λ changes.

Wavelength changes in both cases.

So in case (1), v and ƒ don't change proportionately? God, I have to look this up again.

nasu said:
Wavelength changes in both cases.
I think he means a sound source at rest to the medium.

A.T. said:
I think he means a sound source at rest to the medium.
Yeah I meant that.

1. What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is a phenomenon that occurs when there is a change in frequency or wavelength of a wave as it moves towards or away from an observer. This change in frequency is perceived as a change in pitch or sound for sound waves, and a change in color for light waves.

2. How does the Doppler effect affect velocity?

The Doppler effect does not directly affect velocity, but it is caused by a relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. This relative motion can affect the perceived frequency and wavelength of the wave, which in turn can give us information about the velocity of the source or the observer.

3. What is the difference between the Doppler effect and the Doppler shift?

The terms Doppler effect and Doppler shift are often used interchangeably, but there is a slight difference between the two. The Doppler effect refers to the actual change in frequency or wavelength of a wave, while the Doppler shift refers to the perceived change in frequency or wavelength by an observer.

4. How is the Doppler effect used in real life?

The Doppler effect has many practical applications in various fields. In astronomy, it is used to determine the velocity and distance of celestial objects. In medicine, it is used in ultrasound technology to measure blood flow and detect abnormalities. In traffic control, it is used in radar guns to measure the speed of moving vehicles.

5. Can the Doppler effect be observed with all types of waves?

The Doppler effect can be observed with all types of waves, including sound, light, and water waves. However, the magnitude of the effect may vary depending on the speed of the source and the observer, as well as the medium through which the wave is traveling.