1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doppler Effect aturla frequency

1. Feb 16, 2005 #1
    In class we were explained that if the source moves toward the stationary observer

[tex] f' = f_{0} \frac{v}{v-v_{s}} [/tex]
    where f0 is then aturla frequency of the wave, v is hte speed of the wave, and vs is the speed of the source

and [tex] f' = f_{0} \frac{v_{rel}+v}{v} [/tex]
    where vrel is the speed of the observer

a)SHow that the result are thesame if the source and observer speed are much less than the wave speed

Now i can easilky say that [tex] v - v_{s} \neq 0 [/tex] and similarly [tex] v_{rel} + v \neq 0 [/tex] but is that really enough??

It is worth 5 marks in thsi assignment

b) FInd the difference between theclassical Doppler shift and the relativitistic Dopper shift up to the second order terms in (v/c)^2

now i know the relativistic expression is

[tex] f' = f_{0} \sqrt{\frac{1+\beta}{1-\beta}} [/tex]

but how do i expand this. I do know how to expand [tex] \frac{1}{1-x} [/tex]
    but in this case i can get v / v-c and c/v-c how would that work??

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2005 #2
    From your question it seems like you are trying to pove:
    [tex] f' = f_{0} \frac{v}{v-v_{s}} =f_{0} \frac{v_{rel}+v}{v} [/tex]
    [tex] \frac{1}{1-x} = 1 + x \ \ {When\ x\ll1}[/tex]
    so we have
    [tex] f' = f_{0} \frac{v}{v-v_{s}} = f_{0} \frac{1}{1-\frac{v_{s}}{v}} \cong f_{0} ( 1 + \frac{v_{s}}{v} ) = f_{0} \frac{v_{rel}+v}{v} =f_{0} (\frac{v_{rel}}{v}+1)[/tex]
    Since [tex]v_{s} = v_{rel}[/tex]

hmm I would use the binomial Expansion. I am lazy and did not want to write out the binomial Expansion so here is a link:
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/alg3.html

4. Feb 16, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

a)No...U should try to put the expressions in a way in which u can take the relevant limit [itex]v<<v_{s} [/itex]

b)Use this trick:
    [tex] \frac{1+\beta}{1-\beta}=1+\frac{2\beta}{1-\beta}=1+\frac{1}{something} [/tex]

and now to take out terms in \beta^{2} outta the square root...

Daniel.

5. Feb 16, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Wouldn't be enough for me! Saying they are not 0 doesn't say anything about the relationship of v- vs and vr- v. What is the relationship between vs and vr?

What is &beta;? You should know how to expand [itex]\sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex] in a power series. Once you have expanded it in a power series, replace &beta; by its expression in v and c.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?