How Does the Doppler Effect Relate Detector Speed to Sound Speed?

In summary: This means that the equation simplifies to 0=0, which does not provide any useful information. The correct solution is to set up a system of equations using the given relationships between the frequencies and solve for the ratio v(d)/v.
Doomezar

Homework Statement

A detector initially moves at a constant velocity directly toward a stationary sound source and then (after passing it) directly from it. The emitted frequency is f. During the approach the detected frequency is f'app and during the recession it is f'rec. If the frequencies are related by (f'app-f'rec)/f=0.500, what is the ratio v(d)/v of the speed of the detector to the speed of sound?

Homework Equations

(f'app-f'rec)/f=0.500

f=frequency emmitted
f'app=f * [v+v(d)]/v
f'rec=f * [v-v(d)]/v

The Attempt at a Solution

[( f * [v+v(d)]/v)-(f * [v+v(d)]/v)]/f=0.500

f * ([v+v(d)]/v-[v+v(d)]/v)/f=0.500

[v+v(d)-v-v(d)]/v=0.500

I come up with 1/v=0.500. I guess that would be undefined but it doesn't seem right. I'm not sure where I went wrong here and I've tried a lot of other weird math techniques to not let v(d) cancel but I can't get it to work out. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Doomezar said:

Homework Statement

[( f * [v+v(d)]/v)-(f * [v+v(d)]/v)]/f=0.500
Have you missed out a minus sign in the second term there?

Note: v+v(d)-v-v(d) = 0, not 1.

What is a Doppler Effect detector?

A Doppler Effect detector is a device used to measure the change in frequency of sound or light waves caused by the relative motion between the source of the waves and the observer.

How does a Doppler Effect detector work?

A Doppler Effect detector works by sending out a wave of a specific frequency and then detecting the reflected wave. By comparing the frequency of the outgoing wave to the frequency of the reflected wave, the device can determine the relative motion between the source and observer.

What are some real-world applications of a Doppler Effect detector?

A Doppler Effect detector has many practical applications, including weather forecasting, medical imaging, and traffic speed detection. It is also used in astronomy to measure the distance and speed of stars and galaxies.

What are the limitations of a Doppler Effect detector?

One limitation of a Doppler Effect detector is that it can only measure relative motion between the source and observer. It cannot determine the absolute speed or direction of the moving object. Additionally, it can be affected by background noise and other interfering signals.

How accurate is a Doppler Effect detector?

The accuracy of a Doppler Effect detector depends on various factors such as the frequency of the waves, the distance between the source and observer, and the sensitivity of the device. With proper calibration and usage, a Doppler Effect detector can provide accurate results with a margin of error of a few percentage points.