What is the derivation of the Doppler effect for light using Taylor expansion?

In summary, the conversation is about the derivation of the Doppler effect of light and the use of Taylor expansion. The speaker is questioning why the ##\frac{u}{c}## is not squared in the second term of the right side, as they expected it to be based on their understanding of Taylor expansion. The lecture notes provided an explanation using the McClaurin series of (1+x)1/2, where it is shown that x is not squared in the second term.
Skeptic.

Homework Statement

This isn't strictly a homework problem, but I didn't know where else to post this. I can't get the same derivation as my lecturer for the Doppler effect of light - which is shown in the attached file. If you cannot open this, I re-wrote it further down.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the part in the red box, I thought one would do this via Taylor expansion, thus I expected the ##\frac{u}{c}## to be squared, i.e fr = fs##(1 \pm \frac{1}{2}\frac{u}{c}^2)(1 \pm \frac{1}{2}\frac{u}{c}^2)##. I can't see why this wouldn't be the case. Could someone please tell me why I'm wrong?

(In case you cannot open the file, my lecture notes say fr = fs##(1 \pm \frac{u}{c})^\frac{1}{2} (1 \pm \frac{u}{c})^\frac{-1}{2}##=##(1 \pm \frac{1}{2}\frac{u}{c})(1 \pm \frac{1}{2}\frac{u}{c})##)

Attachments

• Doppler effect - Light.docx
    578.2 KB · Views: 160
Physics news on Phys.org
McClaurin series of (1+x)1/2 = 1 + (1/2) x + ... Note that x is not squared in the second term of the right side.

What is the Doppler Effect for light?

The Doppler Effect for light is the change in wavelength and frequency of light waves as an observer moves relative to the source of the light. This phenomenon is similar to the Doppler Effect for sound, but it applies to electromagnetic waves such as light.

How does the Doppler Effect for light affect the color of objects?

If the source of light is moving towards an observer, the wavelength of the light waves is shortened, causing the light to appear bluer. If the source is moving away from an observer, the wavelength is lengthened, causing the light to appear redder. This is known as redshift and blueshift, respectively.

What is the difference between the Doppler Effect for light and for sound?

The main difference is the type of wave it applies to. The Doppler Effect for sound involves mechanical waves, while the Doppler Effect for light involves electromagnetic waves. Additionally, the speed of sound is much slower than the speed of light, so the effects are more noticeable for light.

How is the Doppler Effect for light used in real life?

The Doppler Effect for light has many practical applications. It is used in astronomy to measure the speed and distance of celestial objects, such as stars and galaxies. It is also used in radar technology, medical imaging, and measuring the speed of moving objects.

Can the Doppler Effect for light be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Doppler Effect for light can be observed in everyday life. One example is the change in color of a moving police car's siren as it approaches or passes by. The red and blue lights appear to shift in color due to the Doppler Effect for light.