1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doppler Effect for light

1. Feb 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This isn't strictly a homework problem, but I didn't know where else to post this. I can't get the same derivation as my lecturer for the Doppler effect of light - which is shown in the attached file. If you cannot open this, I re-wrote it further down.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the part in the red box, I thought one would do this via Taylor expansion, thus I expected the ##\frac{u}{c}## to be squared, i.e fr = fs##(1 \pm \frac{1}{2}\frac{u}{c}^2)(1 \pm \frac{1}{2}\frac{u}{c}^2)##. I can't see why this wouldn't be the case. Could someone please tell me why I'm wrong?

(In case you cannot open the file, my lecture notes say fr = fs##(1 \pm \frac{u}{c})^\frac{1}{2} (1 \pm \frac{u}{c})^\frac{-1}{2}##=##(1 \pm \frac{1}{2}\frac{u}{c})(1 \pm \frac{1}{2}\frac{u}{c})##)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

McClaurin series of (1+x)1/2 = 1 + (1/2) x + .... Note that x is not squared in the second term of the right side.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted