1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doppler effect frequency

1. Sep 20, 2014 #1
    A bat uses ultrasound at 40kHz to locate a stationary insect. If bat is flying directly towards the insect at speed of 4m/s at what frequency does the bat receive the ultrasound reflections from the insect? Speed of sound = 340m/s.

I went frequency = frequency of source x (velocity of wave+velocity of bat)/(velocity of wave)
    So 40 = f x (340+4)/(340).
    This however gives me the wrong answer of 40.4kHz compared to the textbook answer of frequency = 41kHz. Using any doppler formula rearrangement doesn't lead me to 41kHz, so what have I done wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What you have computed is the frequency with which the insect is receiving the ultrasound and thus of the reflected sound in the frame of the indect. The bat is still moving toward the insect when it receives the sound.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted