Determining Velocity of a Police Car Using the Doppler Effect

In summary, the conversation involves a question about the speed of a police car based on the frequency of sound heard while standing at a crosswalk. The equation for the Doppler effect is mentioned and a related question about heart rate is discussed. The conversation also includes a humorous anecdote about a false alarm with a police car and speculations about the original poster's return.
aechols1
Please help me:

. While standing at a crosswalk, you hear a frequency of 630 Hz from an approaching police car. After the police car passes, its frequency is 430 Hz. What is the velocity of the police car? (speed of sound in air = 343 m/s)

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know?

This sounds very much like a homework problem. Tell us what you have done to solve it so far and we can help to point you in the right direction.

At least you seem to know that the problem involves the Doppler effect.
Start with the general equation.

On a related question, "As the police car approaches you, your heart rate is 75 beats per minute. As the police car passes you, your hear rate falls to 65 bpm. Why is this?"

berkeman said:
On a related question, "As the police car approaches you, your heart rate is 75 beats per minute. As the police car passes you, your hear rate falls to 65 bpm. Why is this?"
Hmm I don't know, physiological processes would be my guess. Loud noise stimulates release of adrenaline from the adrenal glands..?

Hootenanny said:
Hmm I don't know, physiological processes would be my guess. Loud noise stimulates release of adrenaline from the adrenal glands..?
Or maybe we were worried that the police car was going to stop :rolleyes:

After all, that would ruin the experiment. Plus, we may not get to submit our paper on time...:cry:

berkeman said:
Or maybe we were worried that the police car was going to stop :rolleyes:

After all, that would ruin the experiment. Plus, we may not get to submit our paper on time...:cry:
Hehe, speaking of which, I was driving to the gym a couple of weeks back and I notice a police car behind me. It followed me for literally ten minutes, next thing the flashing blue lights come on and sirens start wailing! My heart nearly jumped out of my chest. Anyway, I pulled over and the car just sped past:rolleyes: . All worked up over nothing.

Do you reckon our friend aechols1 is coming back?

Hootenanny said:
Hehe, speaking of which, I was driving to the gym a couple of weeks back and I notice a police car behind me. It followed me for literally ten minutes, next thing the flashing blue lights come on and sirens start wailing! My heart nearly jumped out of my chest. Anyway, I pulled over and the car just sped past:rolleyes: . All worked up over nothing.

Do you reckon our friend aechols1 is coming back?
That's too funny. :rofl: I don't know about the OP -- probably they'll check back Sunday night to finish off the assignment? Have a good weekend, Hoot. :biggrin:

berkeman said:
Have a good weekend, Hoot. :biggrin:
Thanks Berkeman, same to you (although I'm already half way through mine):biggrin: . Perhaps we shouldn't fill the thread full of chit chat until our friend returns.:rolleyes:

What is the Doppler Effect of a police car?

The Doppler Effect of a police car refers to the change in frequency of sound waves that occurs when the police car is in motion. As the car moves towards an observer, the sound waves are compressed and the frequency increases, making the sound seem higher pitched. As the car moves away from an observer, the sound waves are stretched and the frequency decreases, making the sound seem lower pitched.

Why does the siren of a police car sound different when it is approaching versus when it is moving away?

The change in frequency of the siren of a police car is due to the Doppler Effect. As the car moves towards an observer, the sound waves are compressed and the frequency increases, resulting in a higher pitched sound. As the car moves away from an observer, the sound waves are stretched and the frequency decreases, resulting in a lower pitched sound.

What factors can affect the intensity of the siren of a police car?

The intensity of the siren of a police car can be affected by several factors, including the speed and direction of the car, the distance from the car, and any barriers or obstructions in the environment that may block or reflect the sound waves.

How is the Doppler Effect used in police car sirens?

The Doppler Effect is used in police car sirens to create a distinct and attention-grabbing sound that changes in pitch as the car approaches and passes by. This helps to alert other drivers and pedestrians of the approaching police car, and can also help the police car to navigate through traffic more effectively.

Can the Doppler Effect be observed with other moving objects besides police cars?

Yes, the Doppler Effect can be observed with any moving object that is emitting sound waves, such as ambulances, fire trucks, and even vehicles playing loud music. It can also be observed with non-audible waves, such as light waves, as objects move closer or farther away from an observer.