1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doppler Effect of police car

1. Jun 23, 2006 #1
    Please help me:

. While standing at a crosswalk, you hear a frequency of 630 Hz from an approaching police car. After the police car passes, its frequency is 430 Hz. What is the velocity of the police car? (speed of sound in air = 343 m/s)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you know?

4. Jun 23, 2006 #3
    This sounds very much like a homework problem. Tell us what you have done to solve it so far and we can help to point you in the right direction.

5. Jun 24, 2006 #4
    At least you seem to know that the problem involves the Doppler effect.
    Start with the general equation.

6. Jun 24, 2006 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

On a related question, "As the police car approaches you, your heart rate is 75 beats per minute. As the police car passes you, your hear rate falls to 65 bpm. Why is this?"

7. Jun 24, 2006 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm I don't know, physiological processes would be my guess. Loud noise stimulates release of adrenaline from the adrenal glands..?

8. Jun 24, 2006 #7

berkeman

Or maybe we were worried that the police car was going to stop :rolleyes:

After all, that would ruin the experiment. Plus, we may not get to submit our paper on time....:cry:

9. Jun 24, 2006 #8

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hehe, speaking of which, I was driving to the gym a couple of weeks back and I notice a police car behind me. It followed me for literally ten minutes, next thing the flashing blue lights come on and sirens start wailing! My heart nearly jumped out of my chest. Anyway, I pulled over and the car just sped past:rolleyes: . All worked up over nothing.

Do you reckon our friend aechols1 is coming back?

10. Jun 24, 2006 #9

berkeman

That's too funny. :rofl: I don't know about the OP -- probably they'll check back Sunday night to finish off the assignment? Have a good weekend, Hoot. :biggrin:

11. Jun 24, 2006 #10

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks Berkeman, same to you (although I'm already half way through mine):biggrin: . Perhaps we shouldn't fill the thread full of chit chat until our friend returns.:rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?