1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doppler Effect question

1. Jun 24, 2009 #1
    Hi, I've got a problem that I can't seem to find an explanation to, about the Doppler Effect

An ambulance is going down the road at a speed U meters/second, in the same direction as the wind, which has a speed of W meters/second. The speed of sound in air is c meters/second

Now, I have to choose one of three options:

1) always c>U+W
    2) always c<U+W
    3) neither (1) nor (2)

At first I thought that the correct answer was (3), because I couldn't think of a reason why there should be a restriction to the speed of sound in air.
    The correct answer is (1) though, and I can't understand why.
    Can someone please enlighten me?
    Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2009 #2
    I think the reason why it's 1 is because you're assuming that the ambulance isn't breaking the sound barrier. The speed of sound is a constant (it can change due to temperature but we'll assume it's a constant for this problem).

Also, considering the two other choices, either "c" is less than "U + W" which is obviously false or "c" is equal to "U + W" (assuming it's what is implied) which is also false.

4. Jun 24, 2009 #3
    Is there something conceptually wrong with option 2?
    Let me see if I understand correctly. If the wind has a certain velocity, the resulting velocity of the sound wave is the constant velocity, 343m/s, plus the velocity of the wind. So, is there a reason why option 2 cannot occur?

5. Jun 24, 2009 #4
    I don't think that there is anything wrong with the concept of option 2. But for this problem, I think that they want you to assume reasonable speeds for both the ambulance and the wind.

For example, option 2 would be correct if the ambulance was going above Mach 1. But how reasonable is that?

I think it may have something to do with the book the problem came from. Maybe it typically assumes the ordinary.

6. Jun 24, 2009 #5
    Thanks for the explanation!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook