Doppler Effect + Wavelength problem

In summary, the frequency of the sound heard by the moving listener is 262.5 Hz and the wavelength between the source and the listener is 1.295m.
KendrickLamar

Homework Statement

A sound source emits sounds of frequency 210 Hz that travel through still air at 340 m/s. The listener moves at 85 m/s relative to still air toward the stationary source. What is the wavelength of the sound between the source and the listener?

Homework Equations

f' = f[1+ Vlistener/Vsound]
v=(wavelength)f

The Attempt at a Solution

well using the doppler effect since the listener is moving towards the stationary source i know it will be f'=f[1+Vlistener/Vsound]

i find the f' right... but when using v=wavelength*frequency, which frequency do i actually use. because i know although I am solving for f' , I am just wondering if its a trick or something because I'm a little confused on the concept.

so for f' i get 262.5 Hz

then i plug it into the v=wavelength*freq , but which velocity do i use? the speed of sound or the speed of the listener moving?

using the speed of sound i get 340 m/s = wavelength * 262.5 and end up with 1.295m as the wavelength.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the source is not moving the waves are unchanged and their wavelength is simply given by v/f where v is their speed in still air and f the original frequency.
The frequency of the sound heard by the moving listener is higher because he passes through the approaching waves at a higher rate than if he were stationary. The Doppler formula will give this new frequency.

What is the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is a phenomenon that occurs when there is a change in frequency and wavelength of a wave due to the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. This effect is commonly observed with sound waves, but it also applies to other types of waves such as light waves.

How does the Doppler Effect affect the wavelength of a wave?

The wavelength of a wave is affected by the Doppler Effect because as the source of the wave moves towards the observer, the wavelength appears shorter and the frequency appears higher. Conversely, as the source of the wave moves away from the observer, the wavelength appears longer and the frequency appears lower.

What is the formula for calculating the Doppler Effect?

The formula for calculating the Doppler Effect is: f' = f ((v ± vo) / (v ± vs)), where f' is the observed frequency, f is the actual frequency, v is the speed of the wave, vo is the velocity of the observer, and vs is the velocity of the source.

How does the Doppler Effect impact our daily lives?

The Doppler Effect has many practical applications in our daily lives. It is used in various technologies such as radar, sonar, and medical ultrasound. It also plays a crucial role in determining the motion of stars and galaxies in astronomy.

What is the relationship between the Doppler Effect and the wavelength problem?

The wavelength problem refers to the change in wavelength of a wave due to the observer's motion. The Doppler Effect is directly related to this problem as it explains the change in wavelength caused by the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer.