Exploring the Doppler Effect: Understanding Pitch Changes of Police Car Sirens

In summary: The apparent frequency is the frequency of the sound you hear due to the Doppler effect (f'). To calculate the apparent frequency when the car approaches you with a speed of 25 m/s, you would use the first formula. To calculate the apparent frequency when the car recedes at the same speed, you would use the second formula.
dragonlau
When a police car passes you with a siren with a frequency of 440 Hz, a noticeable
drop in the pitch of the sound of the siren will be observed as the car passes by. But why the pitch suddenly drops when the car is passes by?

I am not pretty sure why I heard the pitch suddenly drops, but I think it is because the soundwave reaches his top or am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
When a source comes towards a stationary detector, the perceived frequency is given by:

[tex]f'=f\frac{V}{V-V_s}[/tex]

When a source moves away from a stationary detector, the perceived frequency is given by:

[tex]f'=f\frac{V}{V+V_s}[/tex]

You can see that the denominator is larger than the numerator in the 2nd equation when the source moves away from the detector, so the perceived frequency, or pitch, will be lower.

As the cop car moves towards you, the wavelengths get shorter, and so the frequency of the sound increases. As it moves away from you, the wavelengths get longer, and the frequency decreases.

Ah.. I get it.
So, I can use those formulas to calculate the apparent frequency? Imagine that the car approaching me with a speed of 25 m/s. For which can I replaced it with 25 m/s? And how can I calculate how much the pitch will drop when the car recedes at the same speed?
So, f' = 440 Hz or is it f = 440 Hz? I think I confused about which one is the apparent frequency, the f' or f?

In
[tex]f'=f\frac{V}{V-V_s}[/tex]
You were told that the perceived frequency is f'. f would be the frequency "at" the car so the relative velocity is V= 0. Although snazzy didn't say it explicitely, Vs is the speed of sound. V is the speed of the source (in this problem the police car) relative to you.

Actually, V would be the speed of sound (or the speed of the wave in any medium) and V_s would be the speed of the source. I would think the 440 Hz would be the actual frequency of the siren as well, not the perceived frequency but that's debatable.

Last edited:
Alright.
I calculated the Hertz with these formulas.
For the first I have:
f = 440 Hz
Vb = 25 m/s
V = 343 m/s (speed of sound in air)
[tex]
f=440\frac{343}{343-25} = 475 Hz
[/tex]
and second:
[tex]
f=440\frac{343}{343+25} = 410 Hz
[/tex]
Honestly, which one is the apparent frequency and are my answers correcly?
Well, i am some confused about the freqency of 440 Hz, I assume this is the frequency of the source right?

Can I just subtract the first answer by the second answer to get to know how much the pitch will drop when the car recedes?

Last edited:
I don't know what the question is. You just asked "why does the pitch drop when the car passes by?" I answered that question. What you're doing now is just reaffirming the answer with mathematics.

No, in post #3 I have posted another problem statement. Perhaps you misread this post?
In post #3 I need to calculate the 'apparent frequency' and how much the pitch will drop.
I hope I am clear enough?

Well, are you trying to calculate the frequencies of the siren before and after it reaches you, or are you calculating the frequency of the siren after it reaches you and comparing that answer with the actual frequency?

Well, I need to calculate the apparent frequency, but I don't know what apparent frequency is (what does it means?).

Apparent frequency is the frequency of the sound you hear due to the Doppler effect (f').

OK. I calculated two answers:
[tex]
f=440\frac{343}{343-25} = 475 Hz
[/tex]
and:
[tex]
f=440\frac{343}{343+25} = 410 Hz
[/tex]
For the question "calculate what the apparent frequency is when the car approaches you with a speed of 25 m/s", I think the first answer is correct,.. am I right?

But how can I determine how much the pitch will drop when the vehicle recedes at the same speed?

1. What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave in relation to an observer who is moving relative to the source of the wave. This effect is commonly observed in sound and light waves, and can be used to determine the speed and direction of a moving object.

2. How does the Doppler effect work?

The Doppler effect works by altering the perceived frequency of a wave as the source of the wave moves closer or further away from the observer. When the source is moving towards the observer, the frequency appears higher, and when the source is moving away, the frequency appears lower. This is due to the compression or stretching of the wave as it approaches or recedes from the observer.

3. What are some real-life examples of the Doppler effect?

One common example of the Doppler effect is the change in pitch of a siren as an emergency vehicle passes by. As the vehicle moves towards the listener, the sound waves are compressed and the pitch appears higher. As the vehicle moves away, the sound waves are stretched and the pitch appears lower. The Doppler effect is also used in radar technology to determine the speed and location of moving objects.

4. How is the Doppler effect related to the color of stars?

The Doppler effect can also be observed in light waves. When a star is moving towards Earth, the light waves are compressed and appear bluer. When a star is moving away, the light waves are stretched and appear redder. This is known as the "redshift" and "blueshift" of stars and is used to determine their speed and direction of movement.

5. Can the Doppler effect be applied to other types of waves?

Yes, the Doppler effect can be applied to any type of wave, including water waves and seismic waves. In these cases, the frequency and wavelength of the wave may change as the source or observer moves, allowing scientists to study the movement and properties of these waves in different environments.