1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doppler effect

1. Apr 9, 2008 #1
    When a police car passes you with a siren with a frequency of 440 Hz, a noticeable
    drop in the pitch of the sound of the siren will be observed as the car passes by. But why the pitch suddenly drops when the car is passes by?

I am not pretty sure why I heard the pitch suddenly drops, but I think it is because the soundwave reaches his top or am I wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2008 #2
    When a source comes towards a stationary detector, the perceived frequency is given by:

[tex]f'=f\frac{V}{V-V_s}[/tex]

When a source moves away from a stationary detector, the perceived frequency is given by:

[tex]f'=f\frac{V}{V+V_s}[/tex]

You can see that the denominator is larger than the numerator in the 2nd equation when the source moves away from the detector, so the perceived frequency, or pitch, will be lower.

As the cop car moves towards you, the wavelengths get shorter, and so the frequency of the sound increases. As it moves away from you, the wavelengths get longer, and the frequency decreases.

4. Apr 10, 2008 #3
    Ah.. I get it.
    So, I can use those formulas to calculate the apparent frequency? Imagine that the car approaching me with a speed of 25 m/s. For which can I replaced it with 25 m/s? And how can I calculate how much the pitch will drop when the car recedes at the same speed?
    So, f' = 440 Hz or is it f = 440 Hz? I think I confused about which one is the apparent frequency, the f' or f?

5. Apr 10, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In
    [tex]f'=f\frac{V}{V-V_s}[/tex]
    You were told that the perceived frequency is f'. f would be the frequency "at" the car so the relative velocity is V= 0. Although snazzy didn't say it explicitely, Vs is the speed of sound. V is the speed of the source (in this problem the police car) relative to you.

6. Apr 10, 2008 #5
    Actually, V would be the speed of sound (or the speed of the wave in any medium) and V_s would be the speed of the source. I would think the 440 Hz would be the actual frequency of the siren as well, not the perceived frequency but that's debatable.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  7. Apr 10, 2008 #6
    Alright.
    I calculated the Hertz with these formulas.
    For the first I have:
    f = 440 Hz
    Vb = 25 m/s
    V = 343 m/s (speed of sound in air)
    [tex]
    f=440\frac{343}{343-25} = 475 Hz
    [/tex]
    and second:
    [tex]
    f=440\frac{343}{343+25} = 410 Hz
    [/tex]
    Honestly, which one is the apparent frequency and are my answers correcly?
    Well, i am some confused about the freqency of 440 Hz, I assume this is the frequency of the source right?

Can I just subtract the first answer by the second answer to get to know how much the pitch will drop when the car recedes?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  8. Apr 10, 2008 #7
    I don't know what the question is. You just asked "why does the pitch drop when the car passes by?" I answered that question. What you're doing now is just reaffirming the answer with mathematics.

9. Apr 10, 2008 #8
    No, in post #3 I have posted another problem statement. Perhaps you misread this post?
    In post #3 I need to calculate the 'apparent frequency' and how much the pitch will drop.
    I hope I am clear enough?

10. Apr 10, 2008 #9
    Well, are you trying to calculate the frequencies of the siren before and after it reaches you, or are you calculating the frequency of the siren after it reaches you and comparing that answer with the actual frequency?

11. Apr 12, 2008 #10
    Well, I need to calculate the apparent frequency, but I don't know what apparent frequency is (what does it means?).

12. Apr 12, 2008 #11
    Apparent frequency is the frequency of the sound you hear due to the Doppler effect (f').

13. Apr 12, 2008 #12
    OK. I calculated two answers:
    [tex]
    f=440\frac{343}{343-25} = 475 Hz
    [/tex]
    and:
    [tex]
    f=440\frac{343}{343+25} = 410 Hz
    [/tex]
    For the question "calculate what the apparent frequency is when the car approaches you with a speed of 25 m/s", I think the first answer is correct,.. am I right?

But how can I determine how much the pitch will drop when the vehicle recedes at the same speed?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?