Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Doppler effect

1. May 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A car is travelling at 30m/s in still air. the frequency of the siren on the car is 600hz. The velocity of sound in still air is 330 m/s. what is the wavelength of the sound waves

a)directly in front of the car
    b)directly behind the car

What is the frequency of the sound heard by a stationary observer

c)directly in front of the car
    d)directly behind the car

2. Relevant equations

FD=CD/Cs *Fs

3. The attempt at a solution

Im not really sure where to start if someone could point me in the right direction.

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2010 #2
    OK, let's kick this off. Can you first get the frequency of the doppler shifted sound wave? I think your equation above (though you haven't defined what each variable represents) should tell you that.

4. May 28, 2010 #3
    Also, write out how to get your C's.

5. May 28, 2010 #4
    well i can find the wavelength of the car but i think its only when its stationary im not sure

If Cs of the source is 30 m/s an the frequency is 600 hz
    then the wavelength is

0.05 m

but im not so sure where to go from there.. if i have Cs and Fs how do i find what the wavelength in front and behind is

6. May 28, 2010 #5
    actually i think i have the answer.. i used an equation that was stated in my text book..

Wavelength behind = (vm+us)/Fs

where Vm= velocity of sound in medium
    Us= velocity of source

and it gets an answer of 0.6 m

and

wavelength infront = (vm-us)/Fs

given an answer of 0.5 m

and from here i can calculate the frequency of each wavelength from V= F*(Lambda)

7. May 28, 2010 #6
    Awesome! Have a good one.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook