1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doppler effect

1. May 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A car is travelling at 30m/s in still air. the frequency of the siren on the car is 600hz. The velocity of sound in still air is 330 m/s. what is the wavelength of the sound waves

a)directly in front of the car
    b)directly behind the car

What is the frequency of the sound heard by a stationary observer

c)directly in front of the car
    d)directly behind the car

2. Relevant equations

FD=CD/Cs *Fs

3. The attempt at a solution

Im not really sure where to start if someone could point me in the right direction.

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2010 #2
    OK, let's kick this off. Can you first get the frequency of the doppler shifted sound wave? I think your equation above (though you haven't defined what each variable represents) should tell you that.

4. May 28, 2010 #3
    Also, write out how to get your C's.

5. May 28, 2010 #4
    well i can find the wavelength of the car but i think its only when its stationary im not sure

If Cs of the source is 30 m/s an the frequency is 600 hz
    then the wavelength is

0.05 m

but im not so sure where to go from there.. if i have Cs and Fs how do i find what the wavelength in front and behind is

6. May 28, 2010 #5
    actually i think i have the answer.. i used an equation that was stated in my text book..

Wavelength behind = (vm+us)/Fs

where Vm= velocity of sound in medium
    Us= velocity of source

and it gets an answer of 0.6 m

and

wavelength infront = (vm-us)/Fs

given an answer of 0.5 m

and from here i can calculate the frequency of each wavelength from V= F*(Lambda)

7. May 28, 2010 #6
    Awesome! Have a good one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook