Understanding Doppler Formula: Solving for Vs and Equivalencies

In summary, The doppler formula can be expressed in two different forms: f1=f2 (Vw/Vw-Vs) and f1=f2/(1+Vs/Vw). To convert from the first equation to the second, replace Vs with -Vs. To convert from the second equation to the first, divide both the top and bottom by Vw.
chiuda
doppler formula help please!:)

Hello, i see the doppler formula in 2 different forms one being f1=f2 (Vw/Vw-Vs) and the other f1=f2/(1+Vs/Vw)

f1= Doppler frequency
f2= Source frequency
Vw= Speed of sound
Vs= Speed of source

the problem i am having is understanding how these are equivalent? how fit they get from one to the other? And how would you solve for Vs in the first doppler equation stated? any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
hello chiuda! :smile:

if you replace Vs by -Vs, they're the same! :wink:

yes i understand that part but let's say the 2nd eqn was already -vs how does one get from the first equation to the second one? it would be very appreciated if all the steps could be shown thank you :)

Try dividing up and bottom by Vw.

then i would have f2*(1-Vs/Vw) which is not the same as f2/ (1-Vs/Vw) :S

chiuda said:
Hello, i see the doppler formula in 2 different forms one being f1=f2 (Vw/Vw-Vs) and the other f1=f2/(1+Vs/Vw)
chiuda said:
… let's say the 2nd eqn was already -vs how does one get from the first equation to the second one?
chiuda said:
then i would have f2*(1-Vs/Vw)

how do you get that? :confused:

1. What is the Doppler formula?

The Doppler formula is a mathematical equation that describes the effect of relative motion between a source and an observer on the frequency of a wave. It is commonly used to calculate the change in frequency of sound or light waves due to the motion of a source or observer.

2. How do you calculate the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect can be calculated using the Doppler formula, which is f = f0((v ± v0)/(v ± vs)), where f is the observed frequency, f0 is the original frequency, v is the speed of sound or light, v0 is the observer's velocity, and vs is the source's velocity.

3. What does the plus and minus sign in the Doppler formula represent?

The plus and minus sign in the Doppler formula represent the direction of the motion of the source and observer. If the source and observer are moving towards each other, the plus sign is used. If they are moving away from each other, the minus sign is used.

4. What is the difference between the Doppler effect for sound and light?

The main difference between the Doppler effect for sound and light is the speed at which they travel. Sound waves travel at a much slower speed than light waves, so the Doppler effect for sound is more noticeable in everyday situations. Additionally, the Doppler effect for sound is affected by temperature and humidity, while the Doppler effect for light is not.

5. How is the Doppler formula used in real life?

The Doppler formula has many practical applications in real life. It is used in radar and sonar technology to measure the speed and distance of moving objects. It is also used in medical imaging, such as ultrasounds, to detect and measure the motion of organs and blood flow. In astronomy, the Doppler formula is used to measure the speed and distance of stars and galaxies. It is also used in traffic monitoring to measure the speed of vehicles on the road.