Exploring the Doppler Effect with a Laser on a Spring

In summary, a laser of frequency f0 is connected to a spring oscillating in one dimension with a period T and amplitude A. The laser excites the 1st four Paschen series lines of hydrogen, with wavelengths of 1870 nm, 1280 nm, 1090 nm, and 1000 nm. Assuming no other lines are excited, the unshifted laser frequency must lie within this range. To calculate the maximum velocity of the oscillating spring, you can use the Doppler shift equations and plug in the wavelength of one of the lines. However, the calculated velocity may be unrealistic, indicating that there may be additional factors at play.
Seedling

Homework Statement

A laser of frequency f0 is connected to a spring which oscillates in one dimension with a period T and amplitude A. The laser excites the 1st four Paschen series lines of hydrogen. What is f0

Homework Equations

I'm assuming that I'll need the Doppler shift equations,

f = f0[ (1 + β) / (1 - β) ]1/2 (for approaching)

and

f = f0[ (1 - β) / (1 + β) ]1/2 (for receding)

Where β = v/c

The Attempt at a Solution

I've identified the Paschen series for hydrogen to be 1870 nm, 1280 nm, 1090 nm, and 1000 nm.

I don't understand where I should go next. Initially I thought that I could plug values into the equation and solve for the original frequency but I don't see what values I could put in. For an oscillating spring, there will be infinity values of the velocity from 0 to whatever the maximum velocity is. So I don't see how I could solve it?

Part 2 of the problem also asks what the maximum velocity of this oscillation must be to give the observed lines.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless the problem is referring to some sort of weird quantum system (and I don't think it is), it probably means that there are four particular values of the velocity between -vmax and vmax at which the Doppler-shifted laser frequency (or wavelength, if you prefer) corresponds to one of the first four Paschen lines. So you basically have some information - not complete information, but still some information - about the range over which the Doppler-shifted frequency varies. The unshifted laser frequency also has to be somewhere within that range, right? Think about that.

I wonder if you can also assume that no other hydrogen emission lines are excited. That would give you an upper limit on the size of the range of shifted frequencies...

diazona said:
I wonder if you can also assume that no other hydrogen emission lines are excited. That would give you an upper limit on the size of the range of shifted frequencies...

Sorry, yes, it is stated in the problem that no other lines are excited.
diazona said:
there are four particular values of the velocity between -vmax and vmax at which the Doppler-shifted laser frequency (or wavelength, if you prefer) corresponds to one of the first four Paschen lines. So you basically have some information - not complete information, but still some information - about the range over which the Doppler-shifted frequency varies. The unshifted laser frequency also has to be somewhere within that range, right? Think about that.

So the range of wavelengths is 870 nm, if the four lines are 1870, 1280, 1090 and 1000.

Would I just assume that the original frequency is exactly in the center of this range? That way it would shift to the highest and lowest frequencies at the positive and negative maximum velocities?

Then to calculate what this maximum velocity would need to be, I just take the 1000 nm (or the 1870 nm) and plug it into the Doppler equation?

Dawei said:
Would I just assume that the original frequency is exactly in the center of this range? That way it would shift to the highest and lowest frequencies at the positive and negative maximum velocities?

Then to calculate what this maximum velocity would need to be, I just take the 1000 nm (or the 1870 nm) and plug it into the Doppler equation?

OK, doing this, I get a speed of 0.29C for the velocity of the spring--i.e., much faster than what could ever be realistically achieved.

What am I missing here? There has to be something. A monochromatic laser going back and forth, how is it capable of reaching such a wide range of frequencies? There has to be something more to this that I'm not seeing :confused:

1. What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave in relation to an observer who is moving relative to the wave source. This effect is commonly observed with sound waves, where an approaching sound source will have a higher frequency and a receding sound source will have a lower frequency.

2. How does the Doppler effect relate to lasers on a spring?

In the context of lasers on a spring, the Doppler effect refers to the change in frequency of the laser light as the spring is stretched or compressed. This change in frequency can be measured and used to determine the properties of the spring, such as its stiffness or elasticity.

3. How is the Doppler effect used in scientific research?

The Doppler effect is used in a wide range of scientific research, including astronomy, meteorology, and medicine. In astronomy, it is used to study the movement of stars and galaxies. In meteorology, it is used to track the movement of storms. In medicine, it is used in techniques such as Doppler ultrasound to measure blood flow.

4. What is a laser on a spring and how does it work?

A laser on a spring is a scientific instrument that uses a laser beam to measure the properties of a spring. The laser beam is directed onto the spring, and as the spring is stretched or compressed, the frequency of the laser light changes. This change is then measured and used to calculate the properties of the spring.

5. What are the practical applications of using a Doppler laser on a spring?

The practical applications of using a Doppler laser on a spring include testing the quality and durability of springs in various industries, such as automotive and aerospace. It can also be used in research and development to study the properties of new materials and their elasticity. Additionally, it has medical applications such as in diagnosing cardiovascular diseases.