1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doppler shift of light

1. Oct 5, 2006 #1
    I have to calculate the suns period time, when given the following information;

"The H_{alpha} line has the wavelength [itex] \lambda_0 = 656.1~nm [/itex]. Measuring this spectrum from opposite sites of the suns equator, shows that there is a difference between that is [itex] \Delta \lambda=9\times 10^{-12}~m [/itex]. Asume that this effect is due to the rotation of the sun. Find the period, when the suns radius is 1.4 x 10^6 km."

Wouldn't the difference just be (if calculated relativisticly)

[tex] \Delta \lambda = \left( \sqrt{\frac{1+v/c}{1-v/c}} - \sqrt{\frac{1-v/c}{1+v/c}} \right)\lambda_0 [/tex]

Then just solving for v in that equation, and the periode would then be [itex]2\pi r/v[/itex]? I just want to know if my assumption is correct, because I keep getting the wrong answer. If the assumption is correct then I just have better check my math.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

Why do you need to calculate it relativistically? It's just a doppler frequency shift, not a gravitational red shift.
  4. Oct 5, 2006 #3
    Yea why wouldn't I just calculate it classical, alot less algebra, and gives the right answer. But even though calculating relativisticly I should get and answer almost equal to the classical one. But then again, I must have made an error in the calculation. Thanks any way.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?