Doppler Shift for Traffic Light Colors

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Doppler shift equation to determine the speed at which a motorist would need to be traveling for a yellow traffic light to appear green. The equation used is v=[(c)(f0/fs)2-c] / [(f0/fs)2+1], with v representing the speed of the motorist, c representing the speed of light, f0 representing the observed wavelength (in this case, green at 550 nm), and fs representing the source wavelength (yellow at 595 nm). However, after plugging in the known numbers, the resulting speed of 2.35x10^7 m/s does not seem to be correct. After discussing alternative equations, it is determined that
Cheezay

Homework Statement

How fast would a motorist have to be traveling for a yellow (l = 595 nm) traffic light to appear green (l = 550 nm) because of the Doppler shift?

Homework Equations

v=[(c)(f0/fs)2-c] / [(f0/fs)2+1]

The Attempt at a Solution

v= Speed of motorist
c= Speed of light
f0= Observed wavelength (green, (5.5x10^-7 m)
fs= Source wavelength (yellow, (5.95x10^-7 m)

First of all, am I using the correct equation? Because I'm almost certain my work is correct, since after plugging in the above known numbers, i get 2.35x10^7 m/s for an answer, but this answer is not correct. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Cheezay said:
First of all, am I using the correct equation?
Looks OK. (Except for some reason you use f to represent wavelength. f usually stands for frequency.)

Because I'm almost certain my work is correct, since after plugging in the above known numbers, i get 2.35x10^7 m/s for an answer, but this answer is not correct.
That answer looks good to me.

oooh i love doppler shift =]

ive always used F(observed)= [c/(c+v)]*F(actual)

Thanks RoryP. I don't know what was wrong with the equation that i posted, but i tried yours out and it worked!

RoryP said:
ive always used F(observed)= [c/(c+v)]*F(actual)
That equation isn't quite right; it should be:

[tex]f_{obs} = f \sqrt{\frac{c + v}{c - v}}[/tex]

No worries Cheezay, yeah I've never seen the equation you started with, but then again I've only been doing physics for 2 years now so i might bump into it soon!

Yeah i just checked my notes from 6th form and the equation i used is for c>>v, so don't konw if that makes any difference =]

What is the Doppler shift of light?

The Doppler shift of light is a phenomenon where the wavelength of light appears to be shifted either towards the blue end (blue shift) or towards the red end (red shift) of the spectrum. This shift in wavelength is caused by the relative motion between the source of light and the observer.

How does the Doppler shift of light occur?

The Doppler shift of light occurs because of the Doppler effect, which is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave due to the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. In the case of light, when the source is moving towards the observer, the wavelength appears to be shorter (blue shift), and when the source is moving away from the observer, the wavelength appears to be longer (red shift).

What is the difference between a red shift and a blue shift?

A red shift is when the wavelength of light appears longer and is shifted towards the red end of the spectrum, while a blue shift is when the wavelength of light appears shorter and is shifted towards the blue end of the spectrum. A red shift indicates that the source of light is moving away from the observer, while a blue shift indicates that the source is moving towards the observer.

What are some applications of the Doppler shift of light?

The Doppler shift of light has many practical applications in various fields. It is used in astronomy to study the motion and speed of celestial objects, such as stars and galaxies. It is also used in medical imaging, such as Doppler ultrasound, to measure blood flow in the body. Additionally, it is used in radar technology to measure the speed and direction of moving objects.

Can the Doppler shift of light be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Doppler shift of light can be observed in everyday life. For example, when a police car or ambulance is approaching with its siren on, the sound waves emitted by the siren appear to have a higher pitch (blue shift) as they are moving towards the observer. Similarly, when the vehicle is moving away, the sound waves appear to have a lower pitch (red shift). This phenomenon is also observed with light, but it is only noticeable when the source of light is moving at very high speeds.