Doppler and CAT Scan Tests: Experiences & Concerns

• Medical
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doppler
In summary, Evo is having to get a doppler test done on her left leg, a CAT scan, and an MRI done on her head due to a previous allergic reaction. She is also having GERD and metal teeth fillings may not be a concern in an MRI.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I have to get a doppler test done on my left leg.

Has anyone had one done? Sounds like it's just a type of ultrasound.

And I need a CAT scan. The CAT scan scares me since from watching House on TV, that is where most patients end up with blood flowing out of their eyes and ears. I think I should have an MRI instead as I had a severe allergic reaction to iodine dye before. Are metal teeth fillings a concern in an MRI? :bugeye:

I'm supposed to be in the emergency room having these done right now, but I don't feel like going to the emergency room right now, maybe later this evening. I'm still coughing vomit out of my lungs from last night, so I'm not in a good mood.

Biology news on Phys.org
If they are doing the scan on your leg your head shouldn't be in the machine (assuming the filings are in your head and didn't end up in yourr leg in one of your bizarre accidents)
I would prefer an MRI just because of the X ray dose, although if they need a contrast dye the ones for functional MRI are lot nastier than contrast CT dyes!

I'm still coughing vomit out of my lungs from last night
What happened? Or don't we want to know!

How did you manage to aspirate vomit, Evo? Wouldn't seem to be related to your leg.

They're not related. I have GERD also. Who knows what else. I don't know if I want to know.

Hey, I have those too! From acronymfinder.com:

GERD -- Gross Expenditure on Research and Development :rolleyes:

GERD -- Graduate, Earn, Retire, Die :eek:

Get yourself into the doc, and talk to them about the various scan options. Knowledge is power!

Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease

IIRC the Doppler test is done for arterial blood flow.
Just a couple transducers (microphones) strapped to your leg.
Leg falling asleep or just tiers very quickly?

I doubt that teeth fillings are a problem with MRI.
I would think that no one could get near one if they were.
I don't know about posts, if you have any of those.

Best wishes.

Evo said:
I think I should have an MRI instead as I had a severe allergic reaction to iodine dye before.
I would agree with you, particularly if you are having vascular problems. CT is very bad at seeing blood, which is why they inject contrast agent. But CT contrast agents are iodine-based and would be contra-indicated in your case.

Evo said:
Are metal teeth fillings a concern in an MRI?
No.

Evo said:
I'm supposed to be in the emergency room having these done right now, but I don't feel like going to the emergency room right now, maybe later this evening. I'm still coughing vomit out of my lungs from last night, so I'm not in a good mood.
Best wishes for a quick recovery!

Evo, what have you done to yourself this time?! :bugeye: You better be at the hospital getting your tests done by now.

Definitely inform your doctors and the techs about your prior reaction to x-ray dye...they may want to change the tests used, or if it's unavoidable, at the least, be prepared in the event you have another reaction.

Feel better!

Evo! SIS!

What's going on!111? A LEG ULTRASOUND? Do you have pain? Is your leg swollen or red? Are they looking for DVT (blood clot)? Don't screw around with possible clots. Get yer buns to the hospital for that Doppler! Don't have the CT (with contrast) unless you are premedicated with steroids and antihistamines. MRI can rule out DVT pretty well, too, but Ultrasound is the usual (and least invasive) way to go. You are worrying me, now. You know what happens when I get worried... so DON'T mess around now.

I TOLD YOU TO QUIT GETTING OLD! WHY DIDN'T YOU PAY ATTENTION? (Was your ADD acting up again? :rofl: I know mine's been bugging me this week, too. :biggrin:)

Evo! what's wrong!? OK, the cat scan is no big deal, a tabby just comes in and sniffs you and then you're done. I think for the Doppler test you have to make goofy siren noises while walking away from the doctors, so it's not painful or anything, it just makes you feel silly for a while.

Anyway, please quit being sick. I need to tell you about my pet crows! Well, they're not pets actually, but they've taken an interest in me and wait for me to come home from work and feed them every day. So please get yourself well, ok? I need advice on what to cook for them.

Last edited:
Tsu said:
Evo! SIS!

What's going on!111? A LEG ULTRASOUND? Do you have pain? Is your leg swollen or red? Are they looking for DVT (blood clot)? Don't screw around with possible clots. Get yer buns to the hospital for that Doppler!

That was my first thought too...I can't think of any other reasons for a doppler test on your leg. And, with that passing out episode she had right after dental work, I'm worried too.

I tried posting last night when I got back from the ER, but it kept timing out. Yes, they were looking for a blood clot. Here's what I tried to post last night.

Aw, thanks everyone, no blood clot, so now we need to rule out liver, kidney, and heart disease. I still need the cat scan. Poor Evo child spent 6 hours there with me, they didn't want to release me with such high blood pressure. gak

Hey Tsu! Oh, swollen leg. I guess I could just be getting old. Oh, and I have extremely low potassium, so they started me on potassium. Now I need to go to my regular doctor tomorrow. Bleh.

Cooking for crows? Sounds wonderful!

Thanks for posting, Evo! We were worried. I sure hope you are feeling better and are taking it easy today.

*pours potato cheese soup into Evo's computer*

http://www.spudlys.com/sitebuilder/images/potato-soup-443x340.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Math Is Hard said:
Thanks for posting, Evo! We were worried. I sure hope you are feeling better and are taking it easy today.

*pours potato cheese soup into Evo's computer*

http://www.spudlys.com/sitebuilder/images/potato-soup-443x340.jpg [Broken]
Oh,[/URL] you know EXACTLY what I need. Thanks <slurp> mmmmm <snorf> :!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
I tried posting last night when I got back from the ER, but it kept timing out. Yes, they were looking for a blood clot. Here's what I tried to post last night.

Aw, thanks everyone, no blood clot, so now we need to rule out liver, kidney, and heart disease. I still need the cat scan. Poor Evo child spent 6 hours there with me, they didn't want to release me with such high blood pressure. gak

Hey Tsu! Oh, swollen leg. I guess I could just be getting old. Oh, and I have extremely low potassium, so they started me on potassium. Now I need to go to my regular doctor tomorrow. Bleh.

Cooking for crows? Sounds wonderful!

Yikes...blood pressure high enough they didn't want to release you when you usually run a low blood pressure...you have me worried for you here. It's good you have Evo Child close enough to stay with you through all the testing.

Even if you've told your doctor about the reaction to x-ray dye, when you have your CT scan done, be sure to tell every technician and nurse and anyone else who touches you or talks to you about it too...that way you're sure the message has been passed along and nobody forgets to get you drugged up with the antihistamines and such that Tsu mentioned before they inject any dye, and they know to monitor you extra-carefully during and after as well.

That's very good advice, thanks!

Yeah, my blood pressure has gone way up suddenly.

Evo said:

My sister has a similar condition. Blood pressure spikes high enough that she blacks out (once while driving - she pulled off the road onto the shoulder just before she blacked out), and it happens without warning - she actually did that in front of a doctor, who indicated that he'd never seen that happen.

Possibly stress related, and apparently endocrine related. She's taking particular medication(s) to control it.

Doppler (anemometry) scan looks for differences in blood flow.

I can only reiterate Tsu and Moonbear's advice. Get the tests done ASAP.

Evo said:

Hey! I don't like that AT ALL! We have LOW blood pressure in our family. We do not have HIGH blood pressure. That's why everyone thinks we are so boring and nearly DEAD! :rofl: Now get with the program, here! Chant with me now - LLLLLOOOOOWWWWW BBBBBBPPPPPPP.
:biggrin:

Please take care and let us know what's going on ASAP. Get that cat scan done! Getting the steroids and antihistamines before the scan will normally keep you from having a reaction to the contrast. There ARE other methods now to help with contrast reactions, including extra mucho hydration with saline and sodium bicarb. Go with the one your doctor recommends.

Let's chant some more:
LLLLLOOOOOWWWWW BBBBBBPPPPPPP
LLLLLOOOOOWWWWW BBBBBBPPPPPPP

:biggrin: Extra sister loves coming your way! XOXOXOXO

Evo said:

None of my business, really (well, none of our business), but what was your baseline BP before, and what is it typically now? Did both systolic and diastolic increase? Did the pulse pressure increase or decrease? Is your pulse rate different from your baseline as well?

If you don't want to give details, that's fine. You know how that EMT training makes us curious busy-bodies! :redface:

Last edited:
Is this to do with your recent black out?

Hope you're ok, but I'm glad you're getting a check up. :smile:

Bumping this back up, only because I just wondered how everything has been the past 24 hours, and to let you know we're thinking of you.

What is a Doppler test and why is it performed?

A Doppler test is a medical imaging test that uses sound waves to create images of blood flow in the body. It is often used to assess the health of blood vessels in the arms, legs, and neck. This test is performed to diagnose conditions such as blood clots, blocked arteries, and other vascular diseases.

How does a Doppler test work?

A Doppler test works by using a handheld device called a transducer to emit high-frequency sound waves into the body. These waves bounce off of blood cells and are picked up by the transducer, which then creates images and measures the speed and direction of blood flow. These images are then interpreted by a medical professional to assess the health of the blood vessels.

What is a CAT scan and why is it performed?

A CAT (computed tomography) scan is a medical imaging test that uses x-rays and computer technology to create detailed images of the inside of the body. It is often used to diagnose conditions such as injuries, infections, tumors, and other abnormalities in the brain, chest, abdomen, and other body parts.

What should I expect during a Doppler or CAT scan test?

During a Doppler test, you will be asked to lie down on an exam table, and a technician will apply a gel substance to the area being tested. They will then move the transducer over the area to capture images. The test is painless and usually takes about 30 minutes. During a CAT scan, you will be asked to lie down on a table that will move through a large, donut-shaped machine. You may be asked to hold your breath at certain times, and the test usually takes about 10-15 minutes.

Are there any risks associated with Doppler and CAT scan tests?

Both Doppler and CAT scan tests are considered safe and non-invasive procedures. However, they do involve exposure to radiation, so there is a small risk of potential harm. It is important to discuss any concerns with your doctor and to inform them of any allergies or medical conditions you may have before the test. The benefits of these tests typically outweigh the risks, and they can provide valuable information for diagnosing and treating medical conditions.