1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doppler together with beat

1. Jun 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the figure, a motionless observer stands between sound sources A and B, which oscillate at 338 Hz and 342 Hz, respectively. The observer hears a beat. Next, when the observer begins moving at a constant speed on the straight line connecting A and B, the beat is no longer heard. Here, the speed of sound in air is 340 m/s

2. Relevant equations
    fb=|fB-fA|....(1)

Doppler equation
    f'= f([itex]\frac{v\pm v0}{v\mp vs}[/itex])

v0 = observer's speed

3. The attempt at a solution
    1st, I assume that observer walking towards A in order not to hear beat frequency.

Thus, f[itex]^{'}_{A}[/itex]=fA([itex]\frac{v+v0}{v}[/itex]) (2)
    f[itex]^{'}_{B}[/itex]=fB([itex]\frac{v-v0}{v}[/itex]) (3)

from (1); fb = |338-342|=4 Hz
    so |(2) - (3)| = 4 Hz and I got only 1 unknown to solve
    ∴v0 = 4 m/s
    but the answer is 2 m/s toward A, Oh!! Did I do wrong way or my assumption was wrong??

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2012 #2
    Hello IIK*JII
    When the observer doesn't hear beats its frequency should be zero or the two frequencies should be equal ,right?I am getting 2m/s as well if my calculations are not wrong. Maybe you have messed up your calculations somewhere by the looks of your method I suspect you have inverted the situation and still getting 4 beats .
    Rest is all correct .Even if you had assumed that observer walked towards B you'd getting the same answer in negative.
    Correct me if I am wrong.
    regards
    Yukoel

4. Jun 25, 2012 #3
    Yukoel !!!!

Okay, I understand it because I inverted the situation..

Thanks a lot :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook