Doris Day has Died

• News
  • Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date
https://www.apnews.com/b9a04d9ab2ce4276b2f6bdb6b39af585
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Doris Day, the honey-voiced singer and actress whose film dramas, musicals and innocent sex comedies made her a top star in the 1950s and ’60s and among the most popular screen actresses in history, has died. She was 97.

The Doris Day Animal Foundation confirmed Day died early Monday at her Carmel Valley, California, home. The foundation said she was surrounded by close friends.

“Day had been in excellent physical health for her age, until recently contracting a serious case of pneumonia, resulting in her death,” the foundation said in an emailed statement.

Answers and Replies

R.I.P. Doris. I will always remember that I sang (sort of) que sera in a chat with someone (IIRC it was a nurse) on the internet. Guess this song will always remain!

Likes jedishrfu
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
R.I.P America's Sweetheart.

Likes jedishrfu
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I remember watching her movies with my mother (two years older than Day) when they came to TV.

I love Oscar Levant's line "I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin."

That is, Levant knew Day before she became famous playing virginal characters in movies.

OmCheeto
Gold Member
Someone, about 15 years ago, shouted at me; "Doris Day Parking!".
I'd never heard the term before, but immediately understood what it meant:

...In 1960s Doris Day movies, whenever [she] would arrive at her destination, a parking space would be available right in front of it so she could drive her convertible right in.

Another tribute to Doris Day from VOX:

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/5/...films-legacy-rock-hudson-terry-melcher-manson
Doris Day, who has died at 97 in her home in California, was a movie star unique even among other movie stars of her era. Her brand of effortless charm and wholesome femininity made her the embodiment of the ideal woman during the late ’50s and early ’60s. She was simultaneously virginal yet sexy, career-focused yet domestic, elegant yet approachable; she didn’t just “enjoy being a girl” — she presented an uncomplicated, nigh-mythical image of womanhood.

Yet Day’s peppy all-American girl persona belied a career full of hard work that made her far more realistic than she seemed — and even as she represented a vanishing vision of the perfect woman, her own life was an example of just how far removed that image was from reality.