Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dos operating system

1. May 9, 2013 #1
    I have a report for complete about DOC operating system and their requirements t,
    but i haven't good source for collected details please help my my friend,

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2013 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Did you mean PC-DOS or MS-DOS, or perhaps DOS going back ot the days of the IBM 360?

You can do a web search to find information about DOS, the requirements, and the features supported by DOS.

4. May 9, 2013 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

What's the difference? I think that's just two names for the same thing, no?

5. May 9, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

One was produced by IBM for their PC machines, and the other was produced by Microsoft. They are similar but not the same. I don't recall any specific differences off the top of my head, but a search on Wikipedia or elsewhere would point them out.

To the OP: The acronym was DOS, not Dos or DOC.

6. May 9, 2013 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

No, PC DOS was just the IBM branded name for MS-DOS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_PC_DOS

MS always made the operating system for the IBM PC.

7. May 9, 2013 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hm ... the way I heard it, IBM outsourced the OS to what became Microsoft and allowed them to use it with other machines without modification.

EDIT: Ah ... it did in fact start out exactly as I remembered, but they did go their separate ways after a while, so you're right.

8. May 9, 2013 #7

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Some early versions of MSDOS such as 2.11 or before, could run on non PC compatable hardware. I think this changed with version 3.0.

9. May 11, 2013 #8
    I want to details about MS-DOS operating system,

10. May 11, 2013 #9
    It was command prompt, wasn't it? No GUI. What specific details do you require for your report?

DOS was the background of future OS's wasn't it? Except to replace command prompt, there was graphical interface in lieu. But in the background it was really just DOS?

11. May 12, 2013 #10
    https://www.google.com/search?q=wiki+msdos

If that doesn't provide enough information then please provide more specific questions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook