• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Dot and cross product?

• Thread starter Outrageous
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A=(x,3,1) ,B=(x,-x,2)
Determine the value of x if the vector perpendicular to A and B is given by C=(10,-4,-4)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Find A cross B , let A cross B be D . Then D cross C = zero (since they are perpendicular to both A and B) . This sounds logic but there will not be an answer for x. What is wrong?
Then I tried to use dot product A dot C=0, and B dot C=0. Yet the answer of two x are different.
Please guide. Thanks

Answers and Replies

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
You haven't shown your calculations. But perhaps there is no real value of x that works. Perhaps the problem is mis-printed or copied incorrectly.

You haven't shown your calculations. But perhaps there is no real value of x that works. Perhaps the problem is mis-printed or copied incorrectly.
So the both ways to solve the problem are correct?

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
So the both ways to solve the problem are correct?
I didn't say that. I haven't worked the problem; that's your job. If you want me to comment on what you did you need to show your work.

The first way

Attachments

Sorry a, my camera not good.

Please look at the picture, I don't know why I can't upload more picture.
The second way, A dot C = 0 , x= 1.6
B dot C = 0 , x= 0.4
Thanks

Last edited:
LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I won't try to read upside down. But if your arithmetic is correct and you get different values for ##x##, that would tell you there is no solution. Like I said earlier, perhaps the problem is mis-printed or copied incorrectly.

I would like to remark that your approach with the cross product is over-complicated. Once you found C = A x B, and assume that C is parallel with D, you can say C = k D, where k is some number. You do not need to cross-multiply C and D, you just need to confirm that C = k D is possible.

Likes 1 person
I would like to remark that your approach with the cross product is over-complicated. Once you found C = A x B, and assume that C is parallel with D, you can say C = k D, where k is some number. You do not need to cross-multiply C and D, you just need to confirm that C = k D is possible.
Really easier. But I think the question have some problems. Thank you.