1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dot and Cross Products

1. Feb 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

u (dot) [ u x v]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The answer is 0, but I'm not sure why. Do you simplify [u x v], then use that vector to dot it with u? Or can you distribute the u to both u and v?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2012 #2
    The vector of [tex]\left|u \times v\right| = \left|\begin{array}{cc}i & j & k\\u_1 & u_2 & u_3\\v_1 & v_2 &v_3\end{array}\right|[/tex]Then substitute in [tex] u [/tex] for [tex] i,j,k [/tex] because you're trying to prove that the vector [tex] \left|u \times v\right| [/tex] is orthogonal to both u and v. Then simplify and distribute.

4. Feb 13, 2012 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Lurid. Welcome to PF !

You have two different kinds of multiplication involving vectors. Why would you be tempted to do any distributing ?

u × v is perpendicular to both u and v.

What is the result of taking the dot product (scalar product) of two vectors which are perpendicular to each other?

5. Feb 14, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sometimes the easiest way is to just write things down in detail. If [itex] \textbf{u} = u_x \textbf{i} + u_y\, \textbf{j} + u_z\textbf{k} \mbox{ and } \textbf{v} = v_x \textbf{i} + v_y \, \textbf{j} + v_z \textbf{k}, [/itex] then the x-component of [itex] \textbf{u} \times
    \textbf{v}[/itex] is [itex] u_y v_z - u_z v_y. [/itex] When we take the dot product with u, we take [itex] u_x [/itex] times the above. We have two other such terms from the y- and z-components, so all we need to do is sum them up and simplify. It really is not difficult.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook