Understanding the Dot Product and Cross Product in Vector Calculations

In summary, the conversation discusses the reasoning behind finding the product of a dot product and a vector, as well as the confusion around adding this product to another expression. The conversation concludes by clarifying that, in this scenario, the dot product between orthonormal vectors is always equal to zero and that the cross product of two vectors can be determined by using the third vector in the orthonormal basis.
jolly_math
Homework Statement
Let B = (v⃗1, v⃗2, v⃗3) be any basis of R3 consisting of perpendicular unit vectors, such that v⃗3 = v⃗1 × v⃗2. Let T(x⃗) = v⃗1 × x⃗ + (v⃗1 · x⃗)v⃗1. Find the B-matrix B of the given linear transformation T from R3 to R3. Interpret T geometrically.
Relevant Equations
dot product
cross product
1667972360004.png

Could anyone explain the reasoning from step 2 to step 3?

Specifically, I don't understand how to find the product of a cross product and a vector - like (v1 · v2)v1 and (v1 · v3)v1. I'm also confused by v1 × v3 + (v1 · v3)v1 -- is v1 × v3 = v1v3? How would this be added to (v1 · v3)v1?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
jolly_math said:
Specifically, I don't understand how to find the product of a cross product and a vector - like (v1 · v2)v1 and (v1 · v3)v1.
There is no cross product and a vector. There is a dot product and a vector. The dot product is just a scalar multiplying the vector.

jolly_math said:
I'm also confused by v1 × v3 + (v1 · v3)v1 -- is v1 × v3 = v1v3? How would this be added to (v1 · v3)v1?
The vectors are orthonormal so ##\vec v_1\cdot \vec v_3=0##. The expression therefore reduces to ##\vec v_1\times\vec v_3##.

Likes FactChecker, topsquark and jolly_math
Orodruin said:
There is no cross product and a vector. There is a dot product and a vector. The dot product is just a scalar multiplying the vector.
For the second transformation, v1 x v2 = v3, but what does (v1 · v2)v1 equal?
Orodruin said:
The vectors are orthonormal so ##\vec v_1\cdot \vec v_3=0##. The expression therefore reduces to ##\vec v_1\times\vec v_3##.
Why would ##\vec v_1\times\vec v_3## = ##-\vec v_2##?

Thanks.

jolly_math said:
but what does (v1 · v2)v1 equal?
What is ##\vec v_1\cdot \vec v_2## if all ##\vec v_i## are orthonormal?

jolly_math said:
Why would v→1×v→3 = −v→2?
Because you know that the ##\vec v_i## form an orthonormal basis and that ##\vec v_1\times\vec v_2=\vec v_3##.

Likes topsquark and jolly_math
Orodruin said:
What is ##\vec v_1\cdot \vec v_2## if all ##\vec v_i## are orthonormal?
The dot product would be zero, I understand the second transformation now.

Orodruin said:
Because you know that the ##\vec v_i## form an orthonormal basis and that ##\vec v_1\times\vec v_2=\vec v_3##.
I don't have much experience with cross products, does ##\vec v_1\times\vec v_2=\vec v_3## directly lead to ##\vec v_1\times\vec v_3 = -\vec v_2##?

jolly_math said:
I don't have much experience with cross products, does ##\vec v_1\times\vec v_2=\vec v_3## directly lead to ##\vec v_1\times\vec v_3 = -\vec v_2##?
Together with the fact that the ##\vec v_i## are orthonormal, yes.

Likes topsquark and jolly_math
It makes sense now, thank you!

Likes berkeman

1. What is the difference between dot product and cross product?

The dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and returns a scalar quantity. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding them together. The cross product, on the other hand, is a vector operation that takes two vectors and returns a vector perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is calculated by multiplying the two vectors and then taking the cross product of the resulting vector.

2. How do you calculate the dot product and cross product?

The dot product is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of two vectors and then adding them together. For example, if vector A = [a1, a2, a3] and vector B = [b1, b2, b3], the dot product would be a1*b1 + a2*b2 + a3*b3.

The cross product is calculated by taking the determinant of a 3x3 matrix with the first row being the unit vectors i, j, k, the second row being the components of the first vector, and the third row being the components of the second vector. The resulting vector is the cross product. For example, if vector A = [a1, a2, a3] and vector B = [b1, b2, b3], the cross product would be [a2*b3 - a3*b2, a3*b1 - a1*b3, a1*b2 - a2*b1].

3. What are the applications of dot product and cross product in science?

The dot product is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate work, power, and energy. It is also used in computer graphics and computer vision to determine the angle between two vectors. The cross product is used in physics to calculate torque and angular momentum, and in engineering to determine the direction of forces in a system. It is also used in computer graphics to determine the orientation of objects in 3D space.

4. Can the dot product and cross product be used with vectors of any dimension?

The dot product can be used with vectors of any dimension, as long as the two vectors have the same number of components. The cross product, however, is only defined for 3-dimensional vectors. This is because the cross product is used to determine a vector that is perpendicular to two given vectors, and in higher dimensions, there can be an infinite number of vectors that are perpendicular to the given vectors.

5. Are there any relationships between the dot product and cross product?

One relationship between the dot product and cross product is that the dot product of two perpendicular vectors is always 0. This is because the angle between two perpendicular vectors is 90 degrees, and the cosine of 90 degrees is 0. Another relationship is that the magnitude of the cross product is equal to the product of the magnitude of the two vectors multiplied by the sine of the angle between them. This can be written as |A x B| = |A| * |B| * sin(theta).