1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dot Product and Cross Product

1. Oct 4, 2009 #1
    Describe the surface defined by the equation: (a) [tex]\vec{r}\cdot \hat{x}= 2,[/tex] where [tex]\vec{r}=x\hat{x}+y\hat{y}+z\hat{z}[/tex]; (b) [tex]\left \| \vec{r} \times \hat{x}\right \|=2[/tex]

For the first one, I know that is interpreted as the projection of the r vector onto the x axis is equal to two. However, I am not sure what this means graphically. I have no ideal what the cross product looks like. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2009 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For (a), write out what [itex]\vec{r}\cdot \hat{x}[/itex] reduces to:

[tex]\vec{r}\cdot \hat{x} = (x\hat{x}+y\hat{y}+z\hat{z}) \cdot \hat{x} = ?[/tex]

Proceed similarly with (b). You don't need to know what the cross product "looks like". You just need to keep in mind these facts:

(1) the cross product obeys the distributive law
    (2) [tex]\hat{x} \times \hat{y} = \hat{z}, \quad \hat{y} \times \hat{x} = -\hat{z}[/tex]
    (3) [tex]\hat{y} \times \hat{z} = \hat{x}, \quad \hat{z} \times \hat{y} = -\hat{x}[/tex]
    (4) [tex] \hat{z} \times \hat{x} = \hat{y}, \quad \hat{x} \times \hat{z} = -\hat{y}[/tex]
    (3) [tex]\hat{x} \times \hat{x} = \hat{y} \times \hat{y} = \hat{z} \times \hat{z} = 0[/tex]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  4. Oct 5, 2009 #3
    Yeah, so basically any any vector with an x component of "2" satisfies part (a). However, even knowing that, I still cannot wrap my head around the surface created by such an equation.

5. Oct 5, 2009 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try not to think about vectors. The equation is simply

[tex]x = 2[/tex]

What sort of surface in (x,y,z) space satisfies this equation?

Hint: In 2 dimensions, [itex]x = 2[/itex] is a line. In 3 dimensions, [itex]x = 2[/itex] is a ...?

6. Oct 5, 2009 #5
    So actually doing the cross product gives the equation: [tex]\left \| -z\hat{y} - y\hat{z}\right \|=2[/tex] So this is the equation is for a circle in in the y-z plane. Did I do that right?

7. Oct 5, 2009 #6

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I get

[tex]\vec{r} \times \hat{x} = y (\hat{y} \times \hat{x}) + z(\hat{z} \times \hat{x}) = -y \hat{z} + z \hat{y}[/tex]

so the equation would be

[tex]||-y \hat{z} + z \hat{y}|| = 2[/tex]

You can evaluate the left-hand side to make it look more like the equation for a circle. What does

[tex]||-y \hat{z} + z \hat{y}||[/tex]

simplify to?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook