• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Dot Product and Cross Product

• Thread starter Xkaliber
  • Start date
Describe the surface defined by the equation: (a) [tex]\vec{r}\cdot \hat{x}= 2,[/tex] where [tex]\vec{r}=x\hat{x}+y\hat{y}+z\hat{z}[/tex]; (b) [tex]\left \| \vec{r} \times \hat{x}\right \|=2[/tex]

For the first one, I know that is interpreted as the projection of the r vector onto the x axis is equal to two. However, I am not sure what this means graphically. I have no ideal what the cross product looks like. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answers and Replies

jbunniii
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
For (a), write out what [itex]\vec{r}\cdot \hat{x}[/itex] reduces to:

[tex]\vec{r}\cdot \hat{x} = (x\hat{x}+y\hat{y}+z\hat{z}) \cdot \hat{x} = ?[/tex]

Proceed similarly with (b). You don't need to know what the cross product "looks like". You just need to keep in mind these facts:

(1) the cross product obeys the distributive law
(2) [tex]\hat{x} \times \hat{y} = \hat{z}, \quad \hat{y} \times \hat{x} = -\hat{z}[/tex]
(3) [tex]\hat{y} \times \hat{z} = \hat{x}, \quad \hat{z} \times \hat{y} = -\hat{x}[/tex]
(4) [tex] \hat{z} \times \hat{x} = \hat{y}, \quad \hat{x} \times \hat{z} = -\hat{y}[/tex]
(3) [tex]\hat{x} \times \hat{x} = \hat{y} \times \hat{y} = \hat{z} \times \hat{z} = 0[/tex]

Last edited:
Yeah, so basically any any vector with an x component of "2" satisfies part (a). However, even knowing that, I still cannot wrap my head around the surface created by such an equation.

jbunniii
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Yeah, so basically any any vector with an x component of "2" satisfies part (a). However, even knowing that, I still cannot wrap my head around the surface created by such an equation.
Try not to think about vectors. The equation is simply

[tex]x = 2[/tex]

What sort of surface in (x,y,z) space satisfies this equation?

Hint: In 2 dimensions, [itex]x = 2[/itex] is a line. In 3 dimensions, [itex]x = 2[/itex] is a ...?

So actually doing the cross product gives the equation: [tex]\left \| -z\hat{y} - y\hat{z}\right \|=2[/tex] So this is the equation is for a circle in in the y-z plane. Did I do that right?

jbunniii
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
So actually doing the cross product gives the equation: [tex]\left \| -z\hat{y} - y\hat{z}\right \|=2[/tex] So this is the equation is for a circle in in the y-z plane. Did I do that right?
I get

[tex]\vec{r} \times \hat{x} = y (\hat{y} \times \hat{x}) + z(\hat{z} \times \hat{x}) = -y \hat{z} + z \hat{y}[/tex]

so the equation would be

[tex]||-y \hat{z} + z \hat{y}|| = 2[/tex]

You can evaluate the left-hand side to make it look more like the equation for a circle. What does

[tex]||-y \hat{z} + z \hat{y}||[/tex]

simplify to?