1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dot Product Issues

1. Jun 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Vector A and four other vectors that have the same magnitude but differ in orientation. a) Which of those other four vectors have the same dot product with A? b) Which have a negative dot product with A?
    http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/7079/40191924.th.jpg [Broken]
    (Those circle things between the arrows are supposed to be thetas. I suck at drawing quickies in paint.)

2. Relevant equations
    a*b = abcos(theta)

3. The attempt at a solution
    For a) I recognized that they would all have the same dot product with a, since the magnitude of all the vectors are the same, as is their angle. What I don't get is the answer to b. It says D and E. Shouldn't the dot products all be positive? In the equation a and b are positive (and always will be), and cos(theta) is positive in this case, how would the dot product turn out to be negative?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2009 #2
    What is the angle between D and A?

4. Jun 22, 2009 #3
    180 - theta. :blushing:

5. Jun 22, 2009 #4
    By the image, it looks like [itex]\theta[/itex] is acute, so 180 - [itex]\theta[/itex] must be obtuse. From this, you should be able to guess the sign of the cosine of the angle.

6. Jun 22, 2009 #5
    Yeah, I understand where I went wrong. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook