1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dot product of Force and Position as a constant of motion - physical significance?

1. Mar 8, 2012 #1
    Reason I posted this in the maths help forum is that an equation of this form randomly popped up in a homework I was doing on differential geometry. I started with a one-form ω=dβ (β is a scalar function) and found that if for a random vector v, ω(v) = 0, then

[itex]\frac{d}{dt} \left( \gamma^{i}\frac{\partial\beta}{\partial x^{i}} \right) = 0[/itex]

where γ is the integral curve of v (aka the position if you interpret v as a velocity)

If you interpret the scalar field β as a potential field, then this says that the dot product of position and force is a constant of motion. Understanding it is not really significant to what I am expected to turn in, but regardless, does it have any physical significance?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi sam! welcome to pf! :smile:

it looks like the formula for a bead sliding along a frictionless rod forced to rotate (irregularly) about a pivot

but, so far as i know, it has no practical significance​

4. Mar 8, 2012 #3
    Re: Dot product of Force and Position as a constant of motion - physical significance

Thanks for your reply! It's kind of what I suspected, for a second I thought it could be some important constant of motion related to the virial theorem or something like that, but I couldn't find anything in my old mechanics textbooks. I guess it's just a curiosity then :)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?