Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dot product of four vectors

1. Dec 16, 2015 #1
    Hi there,

I understand that taking the dot product of two four vectors automatically applies the metric tensor to the second vector. Is there a way to take write the dot product, using vector notation, in a way which keeps the signs of all of the components positive?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not sure I understand why you would like to keep signs positive ?

For simple metrics like flat minkowsky you can use (x, y, z, ict) as four vectors and use the standard dot product. But now you have an imaginary component, which many will consider even worse than negative :smile:.

And you are unhappy with co/contravariant notation too ?

4. Dec 16, 2015 #3
    I am ok with the co/contra notation, it's just that I have a situation where I have two four vectors, A and B (in a Lagrangian), and would like a nice way to write A⁰B⁰+A¹B¹+A²B²+A³B³.

5. Dec 16, 2015 #4

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Why do you want a nice way to write that quantity? It doesn't contain any physics; the physical quantity is the dot product using the standard metric.

6. Dec 16, 2015 #5

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's no nice way to write this because, relativistically speaking, that quantity has no useful interpretation, as it is coordinate-dependent and different observers would disagree what its value was. On the other hand$$
    g(\textbf{A}, \textbf{B}) = A_\mu B^\mu = A_0 B^0 + A_1 B^1 + A_2 B^2 + A_3 B^3
    $$makes sense. If you really think you need to calculate the expression you gave, you've probably made a mistake in your calculation.

7. Dec 16, 2015 #6

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A negative is missing there...

8. Dec 16, 2015 #7

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, DrGreg's expression is correct.

9. Dec 16, 2015 #8

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The one or three negatives (depending on your metric sign convention) are hiding inside the subscript notation.

10. Dec 16, 2015 #9

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, you're right. :)

11. Dec 16, 2015 #10
    You're right - I did ;)

Thanks for all the replies nonetheless.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook