Why is A.A = ||A||^2 in Vector Analysis?

In summary, the conversation discusses the reasons behind why A.A = ||A||^2 in vector analysis and the definition of the cross product of two parallel vectors being equal to zero. The speaker explains that this is simply a useful and natural definition for an inner product space. They also mention that any operation between vectors can be defined as long as it is useful and holds true. The conversation ends with a question about how to define the dot product, to which the speaker refers to a previous conversation.
parshyaa
Why A .A =||A||^2(dot product) in vector analysis. Every where in vector analysis mathematicians used this result. To prove A.B = ||A|| ||B||cos(theta) we assume that A.A is ||A||^2 , without assuming this we can't prove A.B = ||A|| ||B||cos(theta) . I think they assumed it because dot product is approximately a multiplication of magnitude (only for A.A because both vectors have same direction therefore it will not effect the direction of resultant and in dot product we don't need direction, therefore we simply write A.A= ||A||^2)
  • I want to know your opinion on this, is there a good reason for this.
  • And please do not say that A.A = ||A||^2 because cos(theta) =1 in this case.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Its just a definition! People define the norm of a vector to be the square root of the inner product of that vector with itself. Its called a norm induced by the inner product. You can define other norms on a vector space but its a natural definition for an inner product space.

Okk Then why A cross A is 0
Shayan.J said:
Its just a definition! People define the norm of a vector to be the square root of the inner product of that vector with itself. Its called a norm induced by the inner product. You can define other norms on a vector space but its a natural definition for an inner product space.
cross

parshyaa said:
Okk Then why A cross A is 0

cross

I don't see how the two questions can be related but I try to answer.

Whatever you want to do with a mathematical operation, you should start from defining it.

One definition is ## \vec A \times \vec B=\left| \begin{array}{ccc}\hat x \ \ \ \ \ \ \hat y \ \ \ \ \ \ \hat z \\ A_x \ \ \ A_y \ \ \ A_z \\ B_x \ \ \ B_y \ \ \ B_z \end{array} \right| ## where ## | | ## means calculating the determinant. And we know that when one row(column) of a determinant is a multiple of another row(column), the determinant is equal to zero. So by this definition, any two vectors that are parallel, have zero cross product.

Another definition is ## \vec A \times \vec B=AB \sin \phi \hat n ## where ## \phi ## is the angle between the two vectors and ##\hat n## is a unit vector perpendicular to the plane containing the two vectors and in a direction given by the right-hand-rule. Then its easily seen that whenever ## \phi=0##, this gives zero. So again, two parallel vectors give zero cross product.

Another definition is by defining the cross product of two vectors, as a vector with the magnitude equal to the area of the parallelogram that those two vectors form together which is along the normal vector of that parallelogram and its direction is given by the right-hand-rule. Two parallel vectors can't form a parallelogram and again we see that the cross product of two parallel vectors is zero.

I'm not sure about this one, but I think you even can define it as a product between vectors that gives a vector and has the property ## \vec A\times \vec A=0 ##. So if this definition is equivalent to other definitions, then ## \vec A\times \vec A=0 ## can even be a defining property!

So I think your question boils down to "why should we use one of the above definitions?". Easy...because this is the operation that is useful to us and so this is the operation that we need to give a name to so we can refer to it easily. If anyone feels the need to define an operation between vectors that gives a non-zero result for two parallel vectors, Its OK, he can define it. But that will be another operation with another name that is useful for other situations!

Likes parshyaa
[QUOTE="Shayan.J, post: 5529094, member:

Another definition is by defining the cross product of two vectors, as a vector with the magnitude equal to the area of the parallelogram that those two vectors form together which is along the normal vector of that parallelogram and its direction is given by the right-hand-rule. Two parallel vectors can't form a parallelogram and again we see that the cross product of two parallel vectors is zero.I liked this definition, you want to say that we can define any type of operation and if it holds well we can use it and name it. Thanks man you are awesome.

parshyaa said:
you are awesome.
Yeah, I know!:cool:

Likes parshyaa
How will you define dot product

1. Why is A.A equal to the squared magnitude of vector A?

This is because the dot product of two vectors, A and B, is defined as the product of their magnitudes and the cosine of the angle between them. Since A and A have the same magnitude and the cosine of 0 degrees is 1, the dot product of A and A is equal to the squared magnitude of A.

2. What is the significance of ||A||^2 in vector analysis?

The squared magnitude of a vector, ||A||^2, is a useful tool in determining the length or size of a vector. It also plays a key role in calculating the dot product, which is an important operation in vector analysis.

3. Can the squared magnitude of a vector ever be negative?

No, the squared magnitude of a vector is always a positive value. This is because it is calculated by squaring the magnitudes of each component of the vector, and a negative number squared will always result in a positive number.

4. How is the dot product of two vectors related to the squared magnitude of each vector?

The dot product of two vectors, A and B, is equal to the product of their magnitudes and the cosine of the angle between them. This can also be written as A.B = ||A|| ||B|| cosθ. Therefore, the dot product is related to the squared magnitude of each vector through the cosine of the angle between them.

5. Can the dot product of two vectors ever be equal to the squared magnitude of one of the vectors?

Yes, this can happen when the angle between the two vectors is 0 degrees, making the cosine of the angle equal to 1. In this case, the dot product of the two vectors will be equal to the squared magnitude of one of the vectors.