Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dot product or cross product?

1. Dec 27, 2009 #1
    In the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2aS , What kind of products are v^2 , u^2 , and aS ?
    Cross product or dot product?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2009 #2
    Please correct me if i am wrong, but i believe they will be dot products, cross products will have a change in directions as well.

4. Dec 27, 2009 #3
    Definitely dot products.
    When you cross a vector with itself, you get the zero vector, which is absolutely meaningless.

5. Dec 27, 2009 #4
    OK . So v^2 and u^2 are dot products ...but what about aS?

6. Dec 27, 2009 #5
    Going from just a shallow point of view (without analyzing the meaning of the equation whatsoever) it must be a dot product as well as v^2 and u^2 are both scalars, which necessarily requires the product aS to yield a scalar as well.

7. Dec 27, 2009 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Unless of course a and S are already scalars.

8. Dec 27, 2009 #7
    I think it is important to not just guess what the products might be, but rather prove the law anew. It might be none of the products. So let's do that
    [tex]\Delta E_\text{kin}=\int\vec{F}\cdot\mathrm{d}\vec{s}[/tex]
    [tex]\therefore m|v|^2-m|u|^2=2\vec{F}\cdot\Delta\vec{s}[/tex]
    if the force is a constant
    [tex]\therefore |v|^2=|u|^2+2\vec{a}\cdot\Delta\vec{s}[/tex]
    or if you wish
    [tex]\therefore \vec{v}\cdot\vec{v}=\vec{v}_0\cdot\vec{v}_0+2\vec{a}\cdot(\vec{s}-\vec{s}_0)[/tex]

Note that all this assumes that the force/acceleration is constant.

9. Dec 27, 2009 #8

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[nitpick]

Just to clarify, Gerenuk means that force and acceleration are both constant.

[tex]\frac{force}{acceleration}[/itex] is the same as the mass, which is always constant (at nonrelativistic speeds)

:smile:
    [/nitpick]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook