Is Triangle ABC a Right Triangle?

In summary, you should be using the vector mehtod to find the values of sides AB, BC, and AC in a right triangle. You should also be sure you copied the problem correctly, as the answer is right in front of you.
spoc21

Homework Statement

Given triangle ABC with vertices A(4, 1, 7), B(-2, 1, 1) and C(-3, 5, -6)..is ABC a Right triangle

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the dot product of vertices A(4, 1, 7).B(-2, 1, 1), and it gives 0..but however I am a little confused, as I'm not sure if this is the correct approach..
any help is much appreciated

thanks..

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is the right approach, but ask yourself; why are you using the dot product? Is there a property of the dot product that you can use? And what does it mean if this product is zero?

justsof said:
I think it is the right approach, but ask yourself; why are you using the dot product? Is there a property of the dot product that you can use? And what does it mean if this product is zero?

yep..If the dot product is 0, it means that there is a right angle present between A, and B, since cos(inverse) 0 = 90...I was just confused about my method, is this correct, or should I be using vectors AB, BC, and AC...

You should be using the vectors that represent the sides of the triangle. What you have found is that the vectors to vertices A and B happen to be perpendicular, but that doesn't say anything about the sides of this triangle.

Mark44 said:
You should be using the vectors that represent the sides of the triangle. What you have found is that the vectors to vertices A and B happen to be perpendicular, but that doesn't say anything about the sides of this triangle.

ok so we find values of sides AB, BC, and AC right?...Ive gotten that AB = [-6,0,-6]..BC =[-1,4,7]..and AC = [-7,4,-13]...but now none of the dot products are equal to 0...so its getting more confusing..but is this correct?

thanks,

Your work and mine agree. Are you sure you copied the problem correctly?

yep, the question again is: Given triangle ABC with vertices A(4, 1, 7), B(-2, 1, 1) and C(-3, 5, -6)..is ABC a right triangle, explain using the vector mehtod..

so basically we can conclude ABC is not a right triangle?, since the dot product is not 0, illustrating that there is no right angle..

Pretty much. ABC is not a right triangle because no two sides are perpendicular. You don't want to say "since the dot product is not 0" because you calculated three dot products to reach this conclusion.

Also, I calculated the values of sides AB, etc. using the formula [(b1-a1), (b2-a2), (b3-a3)] so [(-2-4), (1-1), and (1-7)]

[-6,0,-6]

Of course. That's how you get the vectors to dot with each other.

spoc21 said:
using the formula [(b1-a1), (b2-a2), (b3-a3)] so [(-2-4), (1-1), and (1-7)]

[-6,0,-6]
Don't put anything like the above in your work that you hand in, since it's gobbledy-gook. I believe you know what you're doing in this problem, and I understant what you mean, but you're not writing what you mean. You don't have to say "using the formula ..." Your instructor understands how to get the vector that joins two points.

"so [(-2-4), (1-1), and (1-7)]" does what? is what? What's the rest of this thought?

"[-6,0,-6]" This vector equals the one in the previous line, so connect the two with =.

this is just rough work, I have completed the question neatly, using proper notation..
but its correct that AB = [-6,0,-6] right?

Thanks,

ok thanks, your help is much appreciated..

1. What is the dot product in a triangle?

The dot product in a triangle is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying two vectors and then taking the sum of the products. It is used to find the angle between two vectors or to determine the length of a vector in a given direction.

2. How do you calculate the dot product in a triangle?

The dot product in a triangle is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of two vectors and then adding them together. For example, if the vectors are A = (a1, a2) and B = (b1, b2), the dot product would be a1*b1 + a2*b2.

3. What is the significance of the dot product in a triangle?

The dot product in a triangle has several applications in geometry, physics, and engineering. It can be used to find the angle between two vectors, determine if two vectors are perpendicular, or calculate the work done by a force in a given direction.

4. Can the dot product in a triangle be negative?

Yes, the dot product in a triangle can be negative. This happens when the angle between two vectors is greater than 90 degrees, indicating that the two vectors are pointing in opposite directions.

5. How is the dot product in a triangle related to the law of cosines?

The dot product in a triangle is related to the law of cosines through the formula c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab*cos(theta), where c is the length of the third side of the triangle, a and b are the lengths of the other two sides, and theta is the angle between the two sides. This formula can be derived using the dot product of two vectors and the Pythagorean theorem.