Dot product vector question

In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving the dot product rule. The given information includes the magnitude and angle of vector B, the relationship between vectors A and C, and the dot product values of B with A and C. The speaker is struggling with simplifying two equations and expanding cos(x+25) in order to find the magnitude of A. They eventually figure out the correct method and solve the problem.
rambo5330

Homework Statement

i'm having troubles solving this problem in physics involving dot product rule

Vector B is 5m and 60 degress above the x axis
A has the same magnitude as C and C is has 25 more degrees than A ..
find magnitude of A..
B dot C = 35
B dot A = 30

this all we're given.. as far as i can get it i make it down to two equations
cos([tex]\theta[/tex] + 25) = 7/C and cos([tex]\theta[/tex]) = 6/C

Physics news on Phys.org
The two equations should be

cos(θ-60 + 25) = 7/c...(1)
cos(θ-60) = 6/c ...(2)
divide (1) by (2), you get

[tex]\frac{cos(\theta-60 + 25))}{cos(\theta-60)} = 7/6[/tex]

Let (θ - 60) = x
expand cos(x + 25) and divide it by cos(x)and simplify to find x.

excellent thank you,

I thought that was the method but I'm still running into trouble expanding cos(x + 25) and dividing to clear... when i expand i get

cosx / (cos(x))(cos(25)) - (sin(x))(sin(25)) = 6/7

i don't see how dividing that by cos(x) now accomplishes anything?

where am i going wrong?

nm its all good i got it figured out thanks !

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. It seems like you are working on a problem involving the dot product rule in physics. The dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and returns a scalar value. It is used to determine the angle between two vectors and to calculate work and energy in physics.

In your problem, you are given the magnitude and direction of vector B, and you need to find the magnitude of vector A. The dot product of B and C is given to be 35, and the dot product of B and A is 30. From this information, we can set up the following equations:

B dot C = |B||C|cos(theta) = 35
B dot A = |B||A|cos(phi) = 30

Where theta is the angle between B and C, and phi is the angle between B and A. We can also use the fact that A and C have the same magnitude to set up another equation:

|A| = |C|

From here, we can use trigonometric identities to solve for |A|. By substituting |C| for |A| in the second equation, we get:

|B||C|cos(phi) = 30
|B||A|cos(phi) = 30
|B||C|cos(phi) = 30

Since |B| and |C| are known values, we can solve for cos(phi). Then, using the inverse cosine function, we can solve for phi, which is the angle between B and A. Finally, we can use the dot product equation to solve for |A|:

|A| = 30 / (|B|cos(phi))

I hope this helps you solve your problem. Remember to always use the appropriate equations and trigonometric identities when working with dot products. If you continue to have trouble, I suggest reaching out to your teacher or a classmate for further assistance. Good luck with your studies!

Best,

1. What is a Dot Product?

The dot product, also known as the scalar product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and returns a single number. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the vectors and then summing the products.

2. How is the Dot Product calculated?

The dot product of two vectors a and b is calculated by taking the sum of the products of their corresponding components: ab = a1b1 + a2b2 + ... + anbn.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of the Dot Product?

The dot product can be interpreted geometrically as the product of the length of one vector and the projection of the other vector onto it. This means that it measures how much of one vector lies in the same direction as the other.

4. What are some common applications of the Dot Product?

The dot product has many applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to calculate work, find the angle between two vectors, and determine whether two vectors are perpendicular. In computer graphics, the dot product is used to calculate lighting and shading effects.

5. How is the Dot Product related to the Cross Product?

The dot product and the cross product are both operations on vectors, but they have different properties and applications. The dot product results in a scalar, while the cross product results in a vector. Additionally, the dot product measures how much two vectors are aligned, while the cross product measures the area of the parallelogram formed by two vectors. They are related through the equation |ab| = |a| * |b| * sin(θ), where θ is the angle between the two vectors and |a| and |b| are their magnitudes.