1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dot product

1. Jun 8, 2006 #1
    so i have to determine the obtuse angle between the diagonals in the following diagram:

this is what i have so far:

let's call the intersection of the diagonals O
    so to find the obtuse angle, we can apply dot product (OW • OZ)

|OW| = 1/2 |YW|
    = sqrt(61)/2

|OZ| = 1/2 |XZ|
    = 3sqrt(24)/2

but if cos (theta) = (OW • OZ)/ (|OW||OZ|)

i don't have the numerator portion which is usually found with coordinates. so what do i do now?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2006 #2
    Why not choose a coordinate system that is convenient?
  4. Jun 8, 2006 #3
    oh ok so X = (0,0), W = (5,6), Z = (15,6), Y = (19,0)? and then go on to find the position vectors of OW and OZ?
  5. Jun 8, 2006 #4
    You could do it that way. It doesn't really make a difference as long as you can construct vectors OW and OZ (using your logic)
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2006
  6. Jun 8, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You mean Y = (10,0), right?

If you want the angle between the diagonals, then why not simply find the angle between the vectors (X,Z) and (Y,W)?
  7. Jun 8, 2006 #6
    yeah the Y coordinate was a typo. and i can see how your method is easier as well. i think the technique i chose is a little bit better to visualize, as you can actually see the diagonals intersecting and forming the obtuse angle.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?