Find p Given a.b = 4, a=[6,3,-2], b=[-2,p,-4]

In summary, the conversation is about finding the value of p when given the vectors a = [6,3,-2] and b = [-2,p,-4] and the angle between them being cos^-1(4/21). The individuals discuss using the equations a.b/|a||b| = cos x and (3p-4)/(7*sqrt(p^2+20)) = 4^2/21^2 to solve for p, taking into account the possibility of false solutions and the use of the quadratic formula. They also mention the importance of checking solutions and simplifying equations at every step.
PiRsq
The angle between vectors a and b is cos^-1(4/21). Find p if a = [6,3,-2] and b = [-2, p, -4]

I did:

cos x= 4/21 = a.b/|a||b|

The result comes out to be p=8/3 but it only satisfies that a dot b is 4 and not |a||b| = 21...What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Two fractions being equal does not mean their numerators are equal (e.g. 1/2 = 2/4); you can't simply discard the denominator when solving an equation.

Oh so I can't simply say a.b is equal to 4 right? But if I do not do that then I get for cos theta:

cos theta = 3p-4/(7)root of p^2+20

I have no clue now of how to do it

Well, you can cross multiply to get rid of the fractions.

(In case you don't remember, that is to multiply both sides by both denominators, thus going from a/b=c/d to a*d=b*c)

Then if only you knew an operation you can do to an equation to undo a square root...

Yes so:

3p-4/root of p^2+20 = 4/21

Then I square the left side and cross multiply to get:

21(9p^2-24p+16)=4[7(p^2+20)]

am I right so far?

Almost; when you square an equation, you have to square both sides... and you seem to have misplaced a 7 in the first equation in your post.

Incidentally, you should group your terms with parenthesis to make them more clear (and accurate): the LHS should be written something like

(3p-4)/( 7*sqrt(p^2+20) )

(where 'sqrt' stands for square root)

Precisely, I did:

(3p-4)/( 7*sqrt(p^2+20) )=4^2/21^2 then I end up getting numbers in the millions

Eventually I end up with an answer of 1.63 for p by using the quadratic formula, and my book says the answer is simply 4

Lemme see your work so I can see what went wrong.

Incidentally, one tip is to look for simplifications you can make at every step of the problem; for example, before doing anything, notice that the denominator of both sides is divisible by 7; you could multiply the equation through by 7 to cancel that out and reduce the size of the numbers with which you have to work.

Ah yes, now I get the answer 4 and another negative number. But what is that negative number?

Squaring an equation is not an invertable operation; e.g.

(2)^2 = 4 and (-2)^2 = 4

When you perform a noninvertable operation to an equation, it says "The solution(s) to the original equation is (are) among the solutions to this new equation". Generally it's good practice to check your solutions when you get them, but it becomes a necessity when you use noninvertable operations like squaring.

In many types of problems where there squaring introduces "false" solutions, the false solutions correspond to some sort of reversal of sign or direction. In this particular case, it corresponds to the case when cos θ = -4/21

Ok great, thanks Hurkyl!

1. What is the value of p?

The value of p cannot be determined with the given information. We would need to know the values of a and b in order to solve for p.

2. How can we solve for p in this equation?

To solve for p, we can use the formula a.b = |a||b|cos(theta), where theta is the angle between vectors a and b. We can substitute the known values of a and b and solve for p.

3. Is there a specific method or approach to solve for p?

Yes, we can use the dot product formula mentioned in the previous question to solve for p. We can also use other vector operations and equations to solve for p, depending on the given information.

4. What are the possible values of p?

Without knowing the values of a and b, we cannot determine the exact possible values of p. However, we know that p must be a real number, and the range of possible values will depend on the values of a and b.

5. Can we solve for p without knowing the values of a and b?

No, we need to know the values of both a and b in order to solve for p. Without this information, the equation is incomplete and cannot be solved.